Bees taking fondant before sealed honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 national hives some 14x12 and 2 nucs
I've noticed my bees taking the fondant even though there are still plenty of stores left in in the hives. Do they prefer sugar to their own honey?
Also, apart from keeping them for later in the year, I have about 12 full 14x12 frames of honey stores (over 40Kg), any advice what's the best thing to do with them...I don't have a big enough spinner and I don't want to scrape them down to the foundation either. Thanks in advance for any comments

I've noticed my bees taking the fondant even though there are still plenty of stores left in in the hives. Do they prefer sugar to their own honey?
Also, apart from keeping them for later in the year, I have about 12 full 14x12 frames of honey stores (over 40Kg), any advice what's the best thing to do with them...I don't have a big enough spinner and I don't want to scrape them down to the foundation either. Thanks in advance for any comments

probably just taking it down into the hive...

Bees have instinct to store food, but not instinct to waste it. They try to rob other hives even if their own is full.

Hi Finman, I always put half a kilo of fondant over the crown board in January, why not. I believe they don't store fondant, only syrup. When the weather gets warmer I can always check to see how much room is available for the queen to lay and remove stores if required or add another BB or do a Demaree.

Hi Finman, I always put half a kilo of fondant over the crown board in January, why not. I believe they don't store fondant, only syrup. When the weather gets warmer I can always check to see how much room is available for the queen to lay and remove stores if required or add another BB or do a Demaree.

Seen fondant stored in cells in my hive that I had to 'crack' open in an emergency. So I think they do store fondant. Maybe one of the more experienced beeks will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is what I saw.:)

Hi

I did as you did on all four hives, spoke to fellow ( more experienced Beek ) than me who has up to 100 hives , as he said

" Why are you feeding them if they have plenty of capped stores, you want them now to be consuming stores to make space for increased brood rearing, feeding now will lead to laying space shortage and early swarming "

Makes sense to me, going to remove fondant patties later today on mine as like you they seem to have plenty of stores capped untouched.

Seen fondant stored in cells in my hive that I had to 'crack' open in an emergency. So I think they do store fondant. Maybe one of the more experienced beeks will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is what I saw.:)

Yes they do store fondant when fed in early autumn or anytime of year the weather is warm enough, in the same way they store honey or syrup, during winter they will consume the fondant as needed, and store hardly any.

Yes they do store fondant when fed in early autumn or anytime of year the weather is warm enough, in the same way they store honey or syrup, during winter they will consume the fondant as needed, and store hardly any.

Blimey! I got one right! Dear diary...........:sifone:

So what if they store a bit of fondant, I'd prefer to put a slab on top whether it's needed or not, but from what I've read recently I won't buy pollen patties again.

So what if they store a bit of fondant, I'd prefer to put a slab on top whether it's needed or not, but from what I've read recently I won't buy pollen patties again.

Why would they store it?

Why would they store it?

Good question.
I wonder if they see the fondant being 'outside' of the hive and so 'rob' it into the hive and put it into safe storage where they can get at it (as in near the cluster)? Maybe their natural instinct to store what they cannot use immediately into store for later?:)

Might leave it there as loft insulation.

Maybe their natural instinct to store what they cannot use immediately into store for later?:)

Ah! you mean like pensioners queuing at the post office.."all of it" and then go and put it in the bank..

Hi

I did as you did on all four hives, spoke to fellow ( more experienced Beek ) than me who has up to 100 hives , as he said

" Why are you feeding them if they have plenty of capped stores, you want them now to be consuming stores to make space for increased brood rearing, feeding now will lead to laying space shortage and early swarming "

Makes sense to me, going to remove fondant patties later today on mine as like you they seem to have plenty of stores capped untouched.

I wasn't told this in my other thread and now after reading this, I'm back between a rock and a hard place not knowing what to do. Should I remove the fondant I gave bees weeks ago or remove. If I remove it's going against what I was advised on my thread saying don't go near hives until April but if I do leave it, I might run into the problems you mention above. O this beekeeping is great, bees only starting to fly this year and I'm back to being between a rock and a hard place. 2015 already looks like its going to be an interesting year on here for me again :hairpull:

I wasn't told this in my other thread and now after reading this, I'm back between a rock and a hard place not knowing what to do. Should I remove the fondant I gave bees weeks ago or remove. If I remove it's going against what I was advised on my thread saying don't go near hives until April but if I do leave it, I might run into the problems you mention above. O this beekeeping is great, bees only starting to fly this year and I'm back to being between a rock and a hard place. 2015 already looks like its going to be an interesting year on here for me again :hairpull:

I think when people said not to go in untill April, they were meaning into the brood box to look for brood etc, i removed my fondant today, mine sits on top of the frames, didnt need to smoke, bees were flying & all was well, my hives are heavy with stores. It was a lovely day here today too.

yes, big difference between lifting the cover and quickly whipping some fondant on or off, and spending ages going through every box and frame.

Latest posts

Back