Bees refusing syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched quite a bit from his channel and he feeds little and often so doesnt use a bigger feeder. 600g per day for a sinlge brood box and 200g per day for a nuc.
Thats a very interesting observation. I am left with the impression that he/ its turning an ordinary task into a hobbyists micromanaged obsession.

I just upgraded my out apiary to english feeders (I know bigger ones are available but these were very cheap in the sales last year) , I couldn't imagine having a 600g feeder. Some of my hives have gone through 2kg of sugar in a day.

From what i've seen he feeds 2L every 3 days or 1L every 1/2 days depending on when he is there. He does have an awful lot of hives so it seems labour intensive.

From what i've seen he feeds 2L every 3 days or 1L every 1/2 days depending on when he is there. He does have an awful lot of hives so it seems labour intensive.

Although firmly in the hobbyist category, I do try to be efficient, that just seems barmy. For my garden bees I do have smaller feeders but I do intend to upgrade to bigger ones when I next go crazy in a sale (I have resisted this year but think next year it will be unavoidable).

We had that problem of a hive refusing to take syrup although light. After two weeks they suddenly drained it all!

I use a mix of both, fondant is readily taken but at a slight slower rate. Never the less if their is room to store it is disappears.

Anyone else just use fondant instead and skip syrup?

A couple of years ago I was much less organised and more fearful of the temperature so used much less syrup and more fondant. I do think that if you can, syrup is the way to go; price for me, ease for the bees.

A couple of years ago I was much less organised and more fearful of the temperature so used much less syrup and more fondant. I do think that if you can, syrup is the way to go; price for me, ease for the bees.

If it is harder for them to liquidate and store the fondant is that not better? I would prefer natural forage to be stored in the combs rather than fondant but the whole point being they will never starve.

If it is harder for them to liquidate and store the fondant is that not better? I would prefer natural forage to be stored in the combs rather than fondant but the whole point being they will never starve.
when it is really cold, unless you put the fondant directly on to the frames, bees will not go up for it, also you run the risk of it being too cold for bees to get the extra water they need to assimilate the fondant. Much better (and wiser) for them to have the opportunity to store the fondant as 'honey' around the cluster so that it is easily reachable and usable.

when it is really cold, unless you put the fondant directly on to the frames, bees will not go up for it, also you run the risk of it being too cold for bees to get the extra water they need to assimilate the fondant. Much better (and wiser) for them to have the opportunity to store the fondant as 'honey' around the cluster so that it is easily reachable and usable.

Usually stick it on the crown board with a hole in it.Don't bees take moisture from condi inside too?

What do you find as the main difference, pro's and cons etc

These have been dealt with in other threads I suspect, in great detail.

But in summary, I use fondant because I can just stick it on from early September and not worry about them over-filling the brood nest with stores, as they don't take fondant down as fast as syrup (and they seem a little "calmer" about fondant than syrup). I also don't have to worry nearly as much about triggering robbing, as fondant has little "smell".

But syrup is fine and I have fed it lots in the past. The negatives mentioned above re syrup can of course be managed with correct application. I just like the simplicity of fondant feeding.

The main negative of fondant is probably that, as mentioned above, they take it down slower. So if you are looking to "feed to weight" in one go in (say) early October, it takes longer to do with fondant.

These have been dealt with in other threads I suspect, in great detail.

But in summary, I use fondant because I can just stick it on from early September and not worry about them over-filling the brood nest with stores, as they don't take fondant down as fast as syrup (and they seem a little "calmer" about fondant than syrup). I also don't have to worry nearly as much about triggering robbing, as fondant has little "smell".

But syrup is fine and I have fed it lots in the past. The negatives mentioned above re syrup can of course be managed with correct application. I just like the simplicity of fondant feeding.

The main negative of fondant is probably that, as mentioned above, they take it down slower. So if you are looking to "feed to weight" in one go in (say) early October, it takes longer to do with fondant.

I see that the Black Mountain Honey guy on youtube suggests just banging the 12kg Bako block on in Autumn and removing whats left in spring.Seems simple enough.

I see that the Black Mountain Honey guy on youtube suggests just banging the 12kg Bako block on in Autumn and removing whats left in spring.Seems simple enough.

This is what The Apiarist blogger also does, you can read his posts on the subject.

Put in early enough most of that gets taken down and stored in the frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back