Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffindodger 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Just got back from the main apiary. All the colonies bar one are taking the syrup down well.

The last colony have not touched theirs annoyingly when I heft them I can tell that they need more stores but they just won't go up into the feeder.

When I look down the feed hole I can see a circle of faces looking back. Have dribbled a little syrup down the hole as well.

Anyone had this before?

I'm considering just dropping a block of fondant on them instead and seeing if they'll take that.
Yes, try fondant. I've given up on syrup due to drowning and variable uptakes. Mine are all happy taking fondant - make sure it is in solid or no container. The advice to use food wrapping is wrong as they try to remove it through the entrance. Usually they are successful, but what a waste of energy.

Wilco 

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-ish
Not sure how much of an issue mine have with slugs. I've been there a few times at night and occasionally see the odd slug or snail trying to get in but never for long. I was a bit slow starting filming so missed the first bit here but this is one of my nucs a few weeks ago. The slug had tried to get in but hadn't even got its head inside the entrance before being repulsed. I later tried to herd it back towards the entrance, even from a different direction, and it completely refused to, maintaining a wide berth on its way back down to the ground. Converted to lower resolution so it would upload.

Attachments

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Not sure how much of an issue mine have with slugs. I've been there a few times at night and occasionally see the odd slug or snail trying to get in but never for long. I was a bit slow starting filming so missed the first bit here but this is one of my nucs a few weeks ago. The slug had tried to get in but hadn't even got its head inside the entrance before being repulsed. I later tried to herd it back towards the entrance, even from a different direction, and it completely refused to, maintaining a wide berth on its way back down to the ground. Converted to lower resolution so it would upload.
you were too slow to catch a slug?!

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Britain ruled India 400 years, but they did not succeed to teach much to Indian people.
I think you might be wrong there ... India still runs on most of the processes and institutions that we left behind .... perhaps you have never been there ?

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
I think you might be wrong there ... India still runs on most of the processes and institutions that we left behind .... perhaps you have never been there ?
My destiny is to be always wrong. I do not even know, are the ants inside or outside of beehive. But I ques, that if they are inside, they are outside too.

About India I know nothing. It is my bet.

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
.... but he has got an 'O' level in geography!!

Status
Not open for further replies.