Bees refusing syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the main apiary. All the colonies bar one are taking the syrup down well.

The last colony have not touched theirs annoyingly when I heft them I can tell that they need more stores but they just won't go up into the feeder.

When I look down the feed hole I can see a circle of faces looking back. Have dribbled a little syrup down the hole as well.

Anyone had this before?

I'm considering just dropping a block of fondant on them instead and seeing if they'll take that.
Yes, try fondant. I've given up on syrup due to drowning and variable uptakes. Mine are all happy taking fondant - make sure it is in solid or no container. The advice to use food wrapping is wrong as they try to remove it through the entrance. Usually they are successful, but what a waste of energy.

Not sure how much of an issue mine have with slugs. I've been there a few times at night and occasionally see the odd slug or snail trying to get in but never for long. I was a bit slow starting filming so missed the first bit here but this is one of my nucs a few weeks ago. The slug had tried to get in but hadn't even got its head inside the entrance before being repulsed. I later tried to herd it back towards the entrance, even from a different direction, and it completely refused to, maintaining a wide berth on its way back down to the ground. Converted to lower resolution so it would upload.

Attachments

• InShot_20211010_190203966.mp4
    29 MB
Not sure how much of an issue mine have with slugs. I've been there a few times at night and occasionally see the odd slug or snail trying to get in but never for long. I was a bit slow starting filming so missed the first bit here but this is one of my nucs a few weeks ago. The slug had tried to get in but hadn't even got its head inside the entrance before being repulsed. I later tried to herd it back towards the entrance, even from a different direction, and it completely refused to, maintaining a wide berth on its way back down to the ground. Converted to lower resolution so it would upload.
you were too slow to catch a slug?!

I think you might be wrong there ... India still runs on most of the processes and institutions that we left behind .... perhaps you have never been there ?

My destiny is to be always wrong. I do not even know, are the ants inside or outside of beehive. But I ques, that if they are inside, they are outside too.

About India I know nothing. It is my bet.

I think you might be wrong there ... India still runs on most of the processes and institutions that we left behind .... perhaps you have never been there ?
.... but he has got an 'O' level in geography!!

.... but he has got an 'O' level in geography!!

And you may be always right. It is your bargain in this world.

Jenkins. You do not have competence to everything.

Nowadays in Finland, if you say that someone is zero, we need 2 Jenkin's testimony. One is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back