Bees refusing syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just got back from the main apiary. All the colonies bar one are taking the syrup down well.

The last colony have not touched theirs annoyingly when I heft them I can tell that they need more stores but they just won't go up into the feeder.

When I look down the feed hole I can see a circle of faces looking back. Have dribbled a little syrup down the hole as well.

Anyone had this before?

I'm considering just dropping a block of fondant on them instead and seeing if they'll take that.

Now you’ve dribbled some down are they taking it.

Just got back from the main apiary. All the colonies bar one are taking the syrup down well.

The last colony have not touched theirs annoyingly when I heft them I can tell that they need more stores but they just won't go up into the feeder.

When I look down the feed hole I can see a circle of faces looking back. Have dribbled a little syrup down the hole as well.

Anyone had this before?

I'm considering just dropping a block of fondant on them instead and seeing if they'll take that.

Such happens
Put into the sucking champer honey. Then they will wake up.

had the same thing with one hive with rapid feeders.
few drops of lemongrass oil they were straight up.
there slower on the rapid feeders when it’s cold

had the same thing with one hive with rapid feeders.
few drops of lemongrass oil they were straight up.
there slower on the rapid feeders when it’s cold

Wrap some newspaper sheet around the feeding box and syrup stays warm.

Have you tested them for nosema ?

Was the syrup cold mines mixed/stored in the garage and it’s chilly I have a fish tank heater in the drum that brings the temp up and it helps late season.?

...or better, do as Irish Beekeeper and use insulated cushion
when the feeder is exactly the size of frame box, you cannot use that better model.

At least that Irish system is not better. Too small feeder, even if everything else is great. Feeder itself is a toy.

Was the syrup cold mines mixed/stored in the garage and it’s chilly I have a fish tank heater in the drum that brings the temp up and it helps late season.?
One of mine was a bit slow to start taking it down ... tried the dribbling down the hole ... I have 50mm of insulation above the feeders on all my hives ... keeps the syrup warm from the heat of the colony .. in desperation I added some more kingspan around the feeder of this colony .... following morning - the feeder was empty. I guess that colony just likes their Invertbee a little warmer than the rest ...

He's about as Irish as Pierogi mixed with Guinness :LOL:

Looks like nice channel though...will have a look

I like the way he says, "Job dun" every time he's done a job. He's really knows his stuff although I guess many would dislike some of his methods.

It is first better to look, how much hive has bees. Sometimes varroa kills so much bees that they are not able to carry syrup from feeder.

when the feeder is exactly the size of frame box, you cannot use that better model.

At least that Irish system is not better. Too small feeder, even if everything else is great. Feeder itself is a toy.

I've watched quite a bit from his channel and he feeds little and often so doesnt use a bigger feeder. 600g per day for a sinlge brood box and 200g per day for a nuc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back