Bees on Sycamore today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris B

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I can't tell if they're working it for pollen, nectar or both - too high to see properly - but today they seem to be preferring it to the rape only a few hundred yards away.

Sycamore is a great bee tree because you not only get pollen and nectar but also get honeydew from the aphids on it. Unfortunately in my town the council are removing them and replacing them with oaks. I often get a sycamore / OSR mix which makes a great soft set honey.

Bees have been on the acers here, but going mad for holly now

I can't tell if they're working it for pollen, nectar or both - too high to see properly - but today they seem to be preferring it to the rape only a few hundred yards away.

Does the sycamore give off a resin or is it honeydew from aphids? Does seem rather sticky at times.

Does the sycamore give off a resin or is it honeydew from aphids? Does seem rather sticky at times.

Lime trees coat you in a sticky white deposit if you brush against them. Is that also insect exudation? Also do lime trees have any beneficial output for bees? Just curious.

Latest posts

Back