Bees on peas any advice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luka22

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all,
A farmer has just asked us if we want to place some Bees on his field of peas. Is it correct that we would have no harvest from that field because peas do not produce enough nectar or would we get honey from it? I would not want to do all the effort without any outcome of it at the end. What is the experience?

Peas are wind pollinated. o_O

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

I think it may vary depending on the species of pea but I'd pass on it myself

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Well... let's put it this way. Few month ago my partner spoke to him and said he got beans and we should call him again end of June. He spoke last week to him and my partner said it's now peas....

So no matter what, I need to know if it is worth it or not for us. We had bean asked last year already for peas, but where lucky that we were on beans already which gave us a nice crop.

Maybe somebody has tried it out on peas and can tell us how it was...

Beans work.....peas don't
Simple
E

Ok, so no Honey from Peas. That is what I thought. We have currently also got 2 Hives on Corn Gromwell (Buglossoides arvensis). The flowers are tiny and we have our doubts it will bring anything. Has anyone ever tried that out?

Beans are self pollinating and then they make small seeds.

Jn cross pollination theg make 4 times bigger seeds.

Bean needs bumbble bee to bite hole into fliwer tube. Then honeybee can take nectar.

I have just now 20 hectares behind the road. No bumbble bees nor honey bees are in field. No holes in flower tubes. Bees have so good food sources, that they are not interested. They carry full loads. I do not know, from where. I bet honeydew of aphids.

I have here too much bumbble bees.

So, I do not move my bees on bean.
80% chance that I get xero kg honey.

Put four hives on peas in 2015 and I did get some honey off maybe three supers if I remember.

Put four hives on peas in 2015 and I did get some honey off maybe three supers if I remember.

I put four hives to rape last year. They brought each 100 kg in 4 weeks. 400 kg all together.

Question is about alternatives: If you move, where you love? ...to best place, and pea and bean are not among best plants..

Rape is dangerous too. When temps are over 25C, it gives often nothing.

When I have moved hives to sandy soil areas, the result has been often zero. ...even if guys have told , how splended areas they are.

Last edited:

Thanks for your feedback on that. So, I would say it is not worth it then and we have to look for alternatives... too bad...

In the olden days the farmers used to pay us A couple of old quid per hive to put them on their crops.
E

Latest posts

Back