Bees on Hyacinth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Here is a few pictures i took today, they sure do smell nice but what i would like to know do they also produce nectar as well as pollen.

Bees%20on%20hyacinth%20024_zpsqfcy61cx.jpg

Bees%20on%20hyacinth%20045_zpsi5d0cp10.jpg

Bees%20on%20hyacinth%20006_zpsmcvjjptv.jpg

brilliant pictures, the only thing we have out at moment is the dafs

Deer have discovered a liking for my hyacinths this year and scoffed the flowers off over 100 Blue Delft bulbs. Oh for a shotgun licence. Xc

Exquisite colours and detail...really enjoyed these. We have some daffs, primroses, celandines and jonquils out.....we have some willows too. Still cold here...brrrr

Exquisite colours and detail...really enjoyed these. We have some daffs, primroses, celandines and jonquils out.....we have some willows too. Still cold here...brrrr

Its still cold here but the bees are hard as nails and still flying lol , there is loads of daffs/ primrose and willow here but the bees are not touching them, they are gathering lots of pollen from somewhere other than the bulbs i have planted but i am yet too find out where from.
It could be from the tall willow trees as there is around 40/50 of them in a swamp right next too the hive and they are just bursting into flower over the past week, the bumble bees like smaller trees though..

Bees%20on%20hyacinth%20031_zpsgiyuuyei.jpg

Bees%20on%20hyacinth%20037_zpslqqpyfxk.jpg

Deer have discovered a liking for my hyacinths this year and scoffed the flowers off over 100 Blue Delft bulbs. Oh for a shotgun licence. Xc

You are not allowed to shoot Deer with a shotgun! You will need a firearms licence!

You are not allowed to shoot Deer with a shotgun! You will need a firearms licence!

mmm ... venison,

mmmmmmmmmm ... venison sausages

Whatever you have to have, I wish I had one. Deer must have amazing guts as I thought Hyacinths were poisonous. They eat Laurel too and I know that is. Looking forward to seeing the changes in my garden and bees after my 3 weeks away. I just got on top of the weeds before I left. Wondering how my hives got on with the storm I believe passed through Suffolk over Easter.
Cazza

You can if you are the land owner and they are causing significant crop damage, you do need to use heavy shot though AAA have a rubbish shot pattern but they can be used.

You can if you are the land owner and they are causing significant crop damage, you do need to use heavy shot though AAA have a rubbish shot pattern but they can be used.

I agree but I thought we were discussing hyacinths....:nono:
E

Sorry, my fault for digressing to deer, back to Hyacinths.
I love the Blue Delft variety which is very popular with the bees. Every year I buy 10 bulbs of it for potting up for indoor flowering and then plant them out after flowering. They seem to do well on the sandy soil I have and come back each year. I like to stick to the same colour through the whole garden.
Sadly none for the bees this year due to the unmentionable beasts.
Cazza

Back