Bees not taking winter feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was making a reply to beejoyful bit of humor here
should have included his quote sorry
and so far i have this season fed 15 tonne to the bees more probably, having a bit of a tongue in cheek play on the peppermint additive comment

mbc,

I was wondering, too.

I was not sure whether 15 tonne of feed*meant ten tonnes of sugar and five tonnes of water.

I thought the poster might even be mixed up between mass and volume. Can't rightly tell after reading their other woolly posts.

RAB

Hiya- just looked at my hive and they have taken half of the 3lb/1.5pt syrup I'd put on weds - yay!!!:hurray:. I have just made up another 5lb syrup to add- and I will smear honey around the gauze again. I am then away for a week ( half term) - so hopefully they will continue feeding, and I will top them up when I get back- only about another 38.5 lbs sugar to go!! Fingers crossed it won't turn cold too soon.

Thanks for all your advice- this forum has saved my bees many times.

The peppermint bit came from book- teach yourself beekeeping- Adrian /Claire waring - p 37 in a bit about water supply setting up a water fountain. " to train your bees to your new water fountain, feed your colonies with some syrup containing a little peppermint essence and fill the water reservoir with dilute syrup which also contains the essence"
That is why I added some to the feed a while ago.

Nuala x

Peppermint oil did nothing to attract bees to my nuke traps but Lemon grass worked well x2 one was an excapee previously caught swarm.

Latest posts

Back