Bees not bringing in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots of activity in two hives yesterday.
One was bringing in lots of pollen, the other none.

Does this indicate no brood in one?
Where should I go from here?

Question 1, no it doesn't indicate a lack of brood.
Question 2, you do nothing until the weather warms up and you can inspect as normal. Then decide from there depending on what you see.

Lots of activity in two hives yesterday.
One was bringing in lots of pollen, the other none.

Does this indicate no brood in one?

Nowhere ... if they needed pollen and pollen was available they would find it .. there is nothing you can do about it either way - the bees usually know what they are doing so best to just let them get on with it. Worry about it when the weather is warm enough to do an initial inspection which, as I said on another thread, needs to be quick and minimal - just as far as the first frame of brood - check for disease and wack it back together). BUT NOT YET ...

No two colonies are the same, some of mine are happy to collect pollen in colder temps and some are not, even sick or queenless colonies will collect pollen and nectar.

If there were bees flying from that hive they could have been bringing back water so they could use their stores.

Don't forget, bees collect four things - pollen, nectar, propolis, water. You can only be sure what they're bringing back if their load is attached to the pollen baskets.

Wait, for probably another fortnight at least.

If the colony is small or stressed then pulling their home apart could do more harm than good.

If there were bees flying from that hive they could have been bringing back water so they could use their stores.

Don't forget, bees collect four things - pollen, nectar, propolis, water. You can only be sure what they're bringing back if their load is attached to the pollen baskets.

If the colony is small or stressed then pulling their home apart could do more harm than good.

:iagree:

Too early to do anything regardless of whether there's a problem - maybe bees were prioritising - water is as important as pollen at this time of year my next door neighbour is enthralled by the bees flocking to his japanese water garden early season getting water.

Honeydew?

Not that common hence it is not normally listed.

Possibly your quiet hive is not keen on cool weather. I had NZ bees many years ago which were nicknamed the honey bears and did they hate cool weather. The black bees were happily foraging and collecting pollen the the others were peeping out the front door and obviously wondering if it really was Summer!

They may be very weak though so a heft would be a plan?

PH

I wouldn't worry about the differences - it seems to me that each hive does its own thing. I have 2 side-by-side in the garden, one bringing in gorse and a cream-coloured pollen, and the other bright yellow and light green (daffodil and hazel?). I don't understand how they can be so different, but that's bees for you.

I don't understand how they can be so different, but that's bees for you.

I can. One of my hives is in a different section of the garden on its own. The flight path of its bees is totally different from the others. The others land and take off using the length of the garden, whereas this hive uses different directions.. (and crap over our cars whilst the other hives crap over our washing.........)

Hi Sean,
Nothing to worry about on a day to day basis. Pollen collection is demand led with most of it used by emerging bees to finalise their development e.g. the hypoparyngeal glands and for nurse bees to produce brood food. So, it could be that this hive have none of those requirements at the moment and other tasks are being carried out. Do keep an eye on them though.

Latest posts

Back