bees just standing around

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menteth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi there everyone,
Good morning to you all.
Quick question. I've 2 hives at the moment (14x12 nat)
One super busy. Looks perfect.
The other has some activity, but lots of bees just stand on the doorstep hardly moving all day.

(Both hives were nucs a year ago).

Any ideas?

Many thanks all.

Making swarm preps such as building QCs.

Hi there.
Many thanks.
I haven't looked inside yet. Later today.
Will keep you updated.
If they're preparing queen cells etc, should I artificial swarm?

As long as the standing motionless on the doorstep isn't not some awful disease?

Hi there.
Many thanks.
I haven't looked inside yet. Later today.
Will keep you updated.
If they're preparing queen cells etc, should I artificial swarm?

As long as the standing motionless on the doorstep isn't not some awful disease?

if you see QC's then yes, A/S immediately - also, look at the behaviour of the bees in the hive and their physical appearance, are many wandering around on the top bars, not going down on the frames etc.
Then report back.

if you see QC's then yes, A/S immediately - also, look at the behaviour of the bees in the hive and their physical appearance, are many wandering around on the top bars, not going down on the frames etc.
Then report back.

What would that suggest if they are walking on the top bars?

Did you get round to inspecting them?

I have a colony that has workers just standing around the entrance but they have been very slow to build up with little brood this year. There's hardly been any orientation flights of new workers so the standing bees have been more obvious.

I'm not sure why they are building up slowly, the neighbouring hive is doing very well, this hive did well last year the the Q is only just over one year old.

One question, the Q looked very large. Can they get too big and fat to lay? I've given them time to sort themselves out and at last inspection the Q did seem a bit smaller and there seemed to be more brood.

It’s not walking around on the top bars per se. I think JBM means that the bees won’t go down even if you smoke them.

I think JBM was leaning towards Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus if that had been the case together with shaking and k-wing.

I think JBM was leaning towards Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus if that had been the case together with shaking and k-wing.

Not neccessarily shaking, it's not invariably the case - that was why I asked the question

Latest posts

Back