Bees in chimney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got called for a swarm. The information I received 'Please help, bees are clustering on my net curtain'.

When I got to the house, there were a around 100 bees buzzing on the window trying to get out of the house.

They had come out of the fireplace. So any suggestions in this situation.

The roof is too steep for me to scabble along. The chimney pot seems to be sealed but with vent holes around the the top of the pot.

100_4124.jpg

100_4125.jpg

Cliff

Hopefully just scouts and will choose somewhere else. Watching brief for two days. Stuff something across the front of the fireplace to stop them appearing in the room.

Standard procedure of smoking them out from the bottom...although I guess that depends on whether smoke can get out at the top!!

Someone local to us did one yesterday...to see the bees dive across the wall and back into their home hive.

Covering the carpet is recommended (think sooty bees).

Have read previous posts regarding this problem and there is obviously the question of trying to collect the swarm against eviction from the chimney and the consequences of not doing so. There is the problem of a fire/mess if wax melts/ignites through trying to smoke them out with a fire but is the old chimney sweep brush a viable solution for eviction only as haven't seen it mentioned in previous threads.

Yep it will work with a brush but once again the earlier the better. If you can leave the brush resting on the top of the chimney after you have brushed them out that helps too, the problem is you have to get the queen and when you bring the brush back again you can knock her even further down the chimney!! Also wear a suit cos boy do they get cross! Have tried both and find a good hot fire is best provided you do it almost as soon as they arrive to avoid wax ignition
E

Latest posts

Back