Bees in Central Birmingham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Went for a day out with our friends in Birmingham on Wednesday. I was most impressed by the city as we toured the centre. We went to the new library and ended up taking in the view from the roof garden. I was struck by the large numbers of honey bees foraging on the flowering shrubs. I was wondering who keeps bees in Central Birmingham and weather this is a rooftop apiary.

Went for a day out with our friends in Birmingham on Wednesday. I was most impressed by the city as we toured the centre. We went to the new library and ended up taking in the view from the roof garden. I was struck by the large numbers of honey bees foraging on the flowering shrubs. I was wondering who keeps bees in Central Birmingham and weather this is a rooftop apiary.

There is this http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...e-installed-in-birmingham-city-centre-1294760

Where do we start?

The "New library" replaced the old (now demolished, listed Building"!

Bees there, are more likely to be from the parks or canal system (more miles of canal than Venice), that was at the core of the city's success @200 years ago. Not some tree hugger's new rooftop hives.

Wasps & Rats, on the other hand are from the mountains of rubbish the locals are piling on the street corners since June when the Council stopped collecting it!
Oh of course the rats come from the canals too, (some locals are tipping their rubbish off the bridges)!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience in Liverpool earlier this week. Stood between the new Royal and Clatterbridge Cancer Centre, I suddenly realised I had three honey bees resting on my hi-vis. I observed bees flying from the new Royal towards the university (medical school, I think). Curiously, it all seemed to be one way traffic with the occasional bee coming down to rest on my hi-vis. There must be a hive (or nest) close by due to the numbers and how direct their path was. Anyone any ideas?

There are a small number of rooftop apiaries in Birmingham and a much larger number of hives at ground level. I have 4 hives within flying distance of the library, though I can't claim they were my bees you saw!

Places like Moseley probably have a lot of hives too but probably just out of range of the city centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back