Bees & Honey - Ile de Re (France)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
1-2
Just returned from a pleasant little break in Ile de Re where there is obviously a pretty thriving Bee "Industry"....

The island has a Bee centre/attraction (I didn't visit due to other hectic pressures)

Groups of hives scattered in groups spotted while pootling about on various cycle tracks.

Local Honey on sale in almost every shop and market.
Proper Honey! Some a bit cloudy, some crystal clear etc. Simple jars with simple labels.

There was one specific market stall (in La Flotte) that must have been the local Bee Baron... Honey for sale in jars from "Sample size" up to what appeared to be about 2-3 litrs!!
Tons of Beeswax - once again in small blocks upto industrial scale!

Lots of sweeties Miel et......
... Sel ((Sea) Salt being a local product - Caramel with salt is a very common option so a Honey equivalent makes sense)
... Caramel (I think this was just a honey flavour toffee/fudge)
... Propolis - This one made me shudder a bit as I think propolis is a bit of an acquired taste - but each to his own I guess.
Various drinks including honey (Meads? Beers and other concoctions)

One thing that struck me - I didn't see any sign of honey in comb! No chunk, no sections etc (even though as mentioned above - most of the honey seemed to be pretty "rough" (and I mean that in a good way)).

I think there must have been a few hives in the village because in the same market there were various pastries/flans absolutely covered in Honey Bees (presumably nicking the sugar :nono:). This didn't seem to bother the stall holders at all as they weren't even trying to waft them away - and people were still buying them.

At various times of day there were honey bees all over stands of lavender, buddlia (sp) and other plants - but it seemed that throughout any daylight there were dozens of bumbles on the same plants.

All the bees seemed to be "big" and healthy - ranging from very yellow to very dark... Tending more towards darker in the main.

Back