Bees here, there and everywhere

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Early this morning, about 7:00am, the bees from both hives were already out. Believe it or not it was sunny and, relatively, warm (16 degrees).
A little later, at 10:00am, I looked out and was astounded to see one of the hives were out in force, they were everywhere. Not flying together but lots were congregated around the entrance.
We looked for some time and thought that they may be swarming (although this is this years colony only a few weeks) and may settle in a walnut tree close by.
They didn't and are all now back in the hive.
Any ideas what is going on?

:music-smiley-008::music-smiley-008:

they probably knew you were watching and were just doing it to wind you up,they have a great sense of humour you know;)

Darren

They certainly test mine sometimes!

Mass cleansing flight - they must have been busting after having been stuck inside for so long :D

Glad we weren't in their flight paths then!

Had a look past a couple of my hives today. They were really busy, mostly orientation flights.

Do you think that is because they have been inside the hive so much due to poor weather Foxy?

Yes, the weathers been terrible here the last few days. This is the first warm, sunny morning they've had.

Lime trees still in flower, there is hope yet!

Maybe something came and disturbed them just before you arrived.

You should see what happens when a woodpecker lands on the hive for a moment!:willy_nilly:

I have to agree about the weather here in Norfolk.
And where be you in Norfolk?

Blimey, I am doing a walk from there on Friday! I shall look out for your Bees!

Ha! I will be "Policing" a walk here on Friday. As the walkers are meeting in the village and there are no foootpaths though the estate from the village. Do you know the root?

Foxy.
Must be a different walk.
I lead walks for the Council for Health and fitness.
We start at the Community hall/Social Club, walk past the station, up the hill into the open woodlands.

Its the same walk, spotted it in a news letter a while back. But didnt know the root.

If it goes up the hill, it'll be around the Natural England heath. Was curious as the NE heath has its own car parks.

You are right, the Heath does have its own Car Parks, but I asked the same question when I did an "UP WITH THE LARK" walk in May, I was told that there are a lot of thefts from cars parked there.
Not sure if that is true!
If you see me tomorrow, my name is Iain and I will be one of the leaders wearing bright yellow dayglo top and a whistle.
Oh and trousers and boots, of course!

No Friday, hope to meet you.
By the way, all bees seem happy in their hive now, maybe they were just stretching their wings!

Latest posts

Back