bees going in and out of a pile of rubble...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iawtkb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
So, I have a half built soakaway, dug out of 1 meter of soil, then 1 meter of bedrock. It's got about 2' of nice clean rubble in it.

Today, sitting have a quiet read in the garden, which may or may not have involved a glass or two of black cherry cider, I noticed some bees nipping in and out of the soakaway. They are going down onto the floor, crawling beneath a few of the stones, and I think into cracks in the wall. Sometimes they are carrying a tiny piece of stone when they leave.

I think they're going where it's cool and damp for a rest and a drink, but 'im indoors say's they can't be as it's 3' from a pond.

I am fairly sure they are honey bees. When they fly out, it's like bees on a mission - every one off them shooting off in the same direction - same flightpath!

Any ideas?

I am fairly sure they are honey bees

I'm not. I am pretty sure they are something else. Bumbles, solitary bees or wasps, or wasps.

Take a photo.

If they are going in regularly it should be easy.

Sometimes they are carrying a tiny piece of stone when they leave.

..... masonry bees?

To post a pic, click on add reply (not quick reply) then click on the paper clip icon at the top of the message body. That will allow you to attach a pic from your computer.

I managed to get a much better (not doubled!) look this morning, and am pretty sure they're masonry bees. How cool!

I managed to get a much better (not doubled!) look this morning, and am pretty sure they're masonry bees. How cool!

You are very lucky to have them ... not that common. I was at RHS Wisley a couple of weeks ago and they have two walls absolutely full of them ... the mortar in between the bricks has holes in it and they were going in and out ... people sat on the top of the wall totally oblivious to all the activity under their legs ... just lovely to watch.

Latest posts

Back