Bees collecting from inappropriate sources

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully, not that often. I heard of a case where the bees were collecting anti freeze. Not sure if that was true or not.

There are a movie about strange chemicals what bees may forage into the hive. Chemicals color the honey.

Anti freeze is poisonous alcohol. I wonder how bees can stand it stomach full.

There are a movie about strange chemicals what bees may forage into the hive. Chemicals color the honey.

Anti freeze is poisonous alcohol. I wonder how bees can stand it stomach full.

Apparently it has a nice taste to it that cats like..my lady friends sisters neighbour put some in her garden water feature to stop it from freezing in winter..three of her sisters cats died from poisoning..the ethylene glycol or propylene glycol in antifreeze is lethal to cats..

> The reason i asked age was my 10yr old nephew watches things like that..

Some TV programs etc intended for young children have a surprisingly large adult audience. It is a relief from a job that needs heavy thinking all day.

> Apparently it [= ethylene glycol] has a nice taste to it that cats like ... died from poisoning ...

That is why the word "glycol" contains "glyc" from the Greek "glycys" which means "sweet".

The ethylene glycol molecule is similar shape to part of the glucose molecule and thus sets off the same nerve endings in the tasting areas of the tongue.

Last edited:
The Indian hospital program on Sunday night?? Re the alcoholic.

I have seen black comb from bees collecting and storing coal dust thinking it was pollen seemingly.

PJH

And of course rust spores in a pollen dearth.

Back