Bees collecting bright orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A couple of weeks ago they were busy collecting muddy brown pollen.

This week they are after bright orange.

I have seen in the local woods that snow drops are out. There are a few primroses out and plenty of gorse.

Does this mean there is brood in the boxes?

1004021b.jpg

Cliff

"Does this mean there is brood in the boxes?"

almost certainly. it's been a mild winter (this weekend excepting) and we're now almost 4 weeks post shortest day. Probably already had first new bees emerging!

If you're actually asking "is it too late to treat with OA?" then the answer is yes (if you wanted broodless period).

Mine are busy collecting pollen, more of a dark orange / brown...would say its off the gorse up here on the moor.

I did the OA dribble method just after Xmas.

I'm pleased that there may be brood.

Outside temperature is 8 degrees in the shade but lovely and warm in the sun.

I've just posted this link on another thread: http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/pollen-chart/

It would suggest the pollen could be yellow crocus (given the time of year) - or of course something exotic in a local park. Some friends of ours used to keep bees near Paignton Zoo and they had some very weird pollens (and honey) coming in from all the odd trees and shrubs planted in the zoo.

I've just posted this link on another thread: http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/pollen-chart/

It would suggest the pollen could be yellow crocus (given the time of year) - or of course something exotic in a local park. Some friends of ours used to keep bees near Paignton Zoo and they had some very weird pollens (and honey) coming in from all the odd trees and shrubs planted in the zoo.

WOW that is clever - I am V impressed. Very helpful thanks.

Latest posts

Back