Bees by the sea.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
Has anyone successfully kept bees in a highish exposed coastal situation?

I suspect that the wind and possibly the salt would be an issue, is this the case?

Just interested,
Chris

Has anyone successfully kept bees in a highish exposed coastal situation?
I suspect that the wind and possibly the salt would be an issue, is this the case?
Chris

Yes,no problem.

yes I keep them by the sea, limits forage in some directions but fine. Some say you need salt tolerant bees but I have never found that.

Sam as Nic. Mine are about 400yds from the sea and, although sheltered from the worst easterly's, do get a dose of sea spray when the storms hit the reef in spring and autumn. Makes for an interesting taste in your honey!

Its the only place to collect that coastal heath honey, heard tell of sea lavender giving a crop too though we dont have that round here.

Here on top of a 100 foot cliff on scenic Antrim coast road, at start of Glens. Bees seem to love the brambles, hawthorn and wildflowers growing along the cliffs. NE winds can be severe, but the girls just stay at home and watch tv :rolleyes:

200 yards from the cliff edge, gales from the SE can be a bit fierce but didn't bother the bees. They are now the other side of the Downs and I don't notice any difference in how they behave, the honey tastes just as good! :)

No problem here. Need to ensure they are sheltered from the prevailing wind.

yes I keep them by the sea, limits forage in some directions

Only out to sea, I would guess. Am I right?

There's a guy who regularly writes for the BBKA [boo! hiss!] journal that has bees by the sea.

yes exactly, If you think bees forage in a circle area around the hive, if you are near the sea then a large chunk of that circle is now no good (sea). The isle of Man is too far for my girls...;) It means you need to keep an eye on forage levels.

Back