Bees at a graveyard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My house backs onto a graveyard. Its one of those wood land burial places with loads of wild and some very formal areas. I've set up a hive at the back of my garden, the honey i get is just for me and the family. However my wife has already said she will not eat it because its creepy.

I think it perfectly fine, but she says my moral compass is off so i just wanted to know what other people think.

I can see her point, but bear in mind that there is a graveyard within three miles of almost every hive in England (six within the radius of my hives), so we're all getting some.

Try singing 'The circle of life' to her, see if that helps.

I would gently educate her and not in a "lesson" but by general conversation that your bees are covering some 7 sq miles and it is entirely possible that none of your honey is from said bone yard.

PH

So eating the honey is more creepy than having your house beside the graveyard?

But something in this makes me think of "Out of the strong came forth sweetness"

we had a beekeeper who bees collected flora honey.....jobs worth trading standards found pollen from plants not grown in UK..so he now has a little label on his honey, may contain pollen form exotic plans used for display.

any hive within 3 miles of a crematorium is collecting ashes in the honey...
I live within 3 miles of the Atomic Weapons Establishment and all our bees have MOD clearance to overfly but are forbidden to land.:)

Think of it as a corollary to "Grandad's pushing up daisies". It will end up like the verse from the Yorkshire National Anthem 'Ilkley Moor Baht At' - "Then us'll all ha' etten thee". Your good lady may have a point!

CVB

A the Drone said to the Virgin Queen.... hey honey......
lets go make love in dead Earnest!

Or on the label... Toombstone Honey?

Yeghes da

I live within 3 miles of the Atomic Weapons Establishment and all our bees have MOD clearance to overfly but are forbidden to land.:)

But at least you can see them in the dark when they come back home...

And given that most radioactive decay results eventually into the generation of heat, you may not need the Celotex soon - or perhaps you will choose to replace it with graphite..

Yup my parents are buried about 200 metres from my house. I've never thought about that. Have now and I think they'd be amused.

My first wife's buried under the pati...........

oops I shouldn't have said that

Be careful they don't get wind of you sending drones over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My bees are within 3 miles of two cemeteries...

One downmanship?

So how did the bees collect the pollen if the plants are not grown in the UK...fly to another country to collect it?

my guess is that they have been on floral arrangements at the grave side.:nature-smiley-005:

I must admit I like the idea of my remains being used for the benefit of other creatures, I've suggested to my other half that when I pop my clogs that she feeds me to something or plant a tree on my grave, recycling!

Last edited:
Back