Bees around the house gutter..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray316

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
First of all , hi everyone and hope l enjoy and get some good information about bees and problems they can cause and also the good side to bees..
Anyway l do have a problem or it may not be , that's where your good advice comes in handy.
About 3 weeks ago l notice around 8 bees hovering around the corner of the house gutter and l have never seen them there before in 20 years.
So l looked in the loft and no signs of bees, so l have just keep my eye on the gutter for more bees and it's still the same after 3 weeks.
So l don't know why they are there or where they are going if into the loft.
I don't want a nest of honey bees in the loft if that's what they are , but lm sure someone will tell me what type of bee they are and the best course of action..
Trying to send some photos but don't know how to do it .

As well as nectar and pollen, bees also collect water and what you may be seeing is a source of water that the bees are using. On the other hand, you may have a nest in the roof or behind the facia board. the only way you'll find out for sure is to get a ladder up there and see what's going on. You might want to borrow some bee protection clothing from your friendly neighbourhood beekeeper, as being attacked by bees when 20 feet in the air is decidedly unnerving!

CVB

Ten to one they are tree bumbles. Nest of c 100, 8 to 15 males flying outside during the day... die out in August..

See https://www.opalexplorenature.org/treebumblebee

If so, just leave them and fill up the entrance when they have gone for the autumn or you will get them next year..

Tree bumbles, almost certainly. They'll not harm you or your property, and will disappear in early August.
For reassurance, get a local beekeeper to confirm, or look up tree bumble bees and honey bees on line. It's easy to tell the difference once you know what you're looking for.
Honey bees are the only ones which store an appreciable amount of food, and overwinter in numbers. Ther're also the ones that'll defend their home. That's why we love them (bee keepers are generally too old for most adventure sports, but having a few thousand bees objecting to the intrusion can give us quite an adrenaline rush).

If you would like a more precise answer than the likely ones already given, then a reasonably good photo of one of the bees will settle the matter.

[/attach]
if you would like a more precise answer than the likely ones already given, then a reasonably good photo of one of the bees will settle the matter.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34
Bumble bees not honey bees- shape all wrong for honey bees.

Looks like a very bedraggled tree bumble. Go to the link on post 2, scroll down to step 5. Bumblebee conservation.

agree Bombus Hypnorum the non native tree bumble bee that arrived from france in early 2000s and now are found over most of England

They are more aggressive than our bumbles if disturbed, so leave them as they will die out at the end of summer, i am getting about 20 calls a week this summer, i would spray the area with something strong smelly like Jeyses fluid once they die off

2009 distribution

http://www.bwars.com/content/bombus-hypnorum-report-2009

http://www.bwars.com/content/bombus-hypnorum-2014

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back