Bees are stubborn at times!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was sat in my garden when one of my hives erupted and a swarm filled the air. They clustered on a branch in the garden, great I thought, an easy catch.
They were boxed, and left on the ground for the fliers to find the way in.

In the evening, I thought I would try the ramp method and made a ramp covered with white material leading into a hive. I tipped the bees on to the ramp hoping to see them march up the hill and into the empty hive. Ha, the bees flew away. I followed them and once again managed to box them. By this time it was going dark.
Yes, I got them in a box again. This time I put some brood in the hive and tipped them in and put the lid on. It was quite dark by then.

So in the morning, I watched them leave the hive and they flew about 100 metres and went into a bait box!
I recovered the brood with about a dozen of bees and dropped that into the bait box.

Its all fun!
Cliff

Blimey......choosey bees or what! Well done tho...perserverence prevailed

Been there, done that, no ryme or reason why they leave but its what they do. How boring would it be if swarm prevention actually worked.

Hi CliffDale,
Your bait box was obviously the chosen one until you interfered - taking on the persona of a scout bee here!

Latest posts

Back