Bees and Silage pits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone had any trouble with hives near or close to silage pits. I have two hives near home with no silage pits within miles. No problem with these bees. I also have two hives on a farm about four miles away, which are quite close (about 25mtrs) to a silage pit. One of the colonies killed the queen, and the other one swarmed when there was plenty of room to expand. The smell from silage can be quite strong and i would not like it to be coming in my front room. Maybe the bees that are left in the hive will get used to the smell. From, Ianf. Isle of Islay.:confused:

Don't know why, it's only fermented grass (kept air-tight until used in the winter), presumably empty by now?

A month ago I put horse manure on the garden (by my hives), they didn't like it. I don't know if it was the smell or the flies attracted that upset them. Over the rest of the day I got seven stings while gardening, away from the normally quiet hives!

Do you mean a slurry pit? :ack2:

Never seen that happen and have been near silage often. The bees do have a liking for the liquor, probably even more so than the black liquor from dung middens. Bees are mucky little critters at time.

I've 2 colonies at a farm only 20 yards from a silage pit, no problems. They were there last also.
MartinL. Most silage pits will be full again by now, they get cleared out in winter/early spring then remade when weathegrass permits. This one was done 1st half of June this year:.)

Don't know why, it's only fermented grass (kept air-tight until used in the winter), presumably empty by now?

A month ago I put horse manure on the garden (by my hives), they didn't like it. I don't know if it was the smell or the flies attracted that upset them. Over the rest of the day I got seven stings while gardening, away from the normally quiet hives!

Do you mean a slurry pit? :ack2:
many Thanks for the replies, cannot understand why they would want to eat the silage liquid which runs from the bottom of the pit. I will have to look some where else to fix the problem. I have never been stung by these bees in the year they have been there. Maybe they have been on the silage liquid and could not see me.

Same as with the dung midden liquor. There will be something in it that they want, most likely minerals. Not being a regular drinker of it myself (though drinking it might keep one 'regular') I cannot confirm this, but apparently the silage liquor can be quite sweet.

(though drinking it might keep one 'regular')

I must admit, I've never seen a constipated cow...

Not wanting to lower the tone, my dog did a little piddle on a slight bare patch on the lawn. He was looking a bit inquisitive later and I noticed he was watching a bee. Guess they will take their minerals from any source.

All my hives are within yards of both our silage pits. The grass in the pits have to be compressed and during the compression effluent runs from the bottom of the pit. If the grass is cut at the correct time, the effluent contains a lot of sugar so perhaps the bees just like the taste. Good silage shouldn't smell bad, the good stuff smells like tobacco

How would you know?

As a townie, I'm curious.

And are you an expert at this, Luminos?
Not much else to watch in the Limousin, I suspect.

Dusty.

How would I know?
Dunno.
As I said, never seen one.
Dusty...do you know where milk really comes from...

i have got a colony on my allotment and i have grass deleivered and dropped outside. after it has been there a few days there is a lot of good liquid that oozes from it and have loads of bees around the grass as well as a lot of flies so the grass must have something that the bees like

Dusty...do you know where milk really comes from...

Typical country yokel question.

Everybody knows milk and juices are made from concentrates knocked up in a factory.

D.

P.s. I've noticed the batteries in lots of my bees have run down.
Where do I get new ones, and do they do rechargeable bees?

Latest posts

Back