Bees and rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hombal

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Are there any problems with rats when it comes to bees?
Will the new bee hive (beehaus) attract rats when we finally get it going?
We know that we have at least one rat outside (very large) as we saw it running about in the garden. Our traps had to be removed when friend's cats nearly were at risk. :rolleyes:

Get your trap running again but in a "rat run" made with ply to keep cats out.

One seen rat denotes a fair few others....

PH

Piece of waste pipe(the wide plastic sewage pipe) and put some red jaguar poison in the middle nailed to a piece of wood. Get it from loca agriculture merchant. Doesn't take long to kill them.

Although I see rats from time to time (there is a stream & a hen house nearby) I have never known rats to be attracted to my hives. In my experience of keeping rats and mice as pets, I don't think that rats have as much of a sweet a tooth as do mice. They are also a large target for stinging bees.

An apiary I frequently visit had something with sharp teeth chew the timber around the entrance overwinter. The owner kept hens and there were rats around - almost certainly the culprits.

Keep it tidy around the hives and you will minimise the risk, but they can be a problem.

Latest posts

Back