bees and chickens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well regardless of what they who haven't witnessed it keep whittering on about (including the 'expert' who has had bees all of five minutes) I have seen it - not a regular occurrence it must be said

Indeed, I know of at least one horse killed by bees here locally, two horses were actually badly stung, one died and they managed to save the other, the owner also ended up in hospital after being badly stung, trying to both brush and hose the bees off the horses.

Discussing this with my mother - when she was studying for her 'O' levels, she was out in the garden with my grandfather and the hive of bees which he kept in the garden, and had been there for years without any issues suddenly went ballistic, pouring out of the hive and attacking her and my grandfather.
As one great philosopher said 'You never can tell with bees'

On lecture level to breed varroa tolerant bees sounds easy. You just let mites kill your hives, and you look, did you really have tolerant hives.

There is just going such "evolution" in Gotland isle of Sweden. There are 30 colonies alive, but they are so small that they cannot gather honey yields. Cluster is typically three frames in winter. And in Spring, what then. Same with Russian bee in USA.

eh? what's that got to do with chickens? or are you suggesting we use chickens to pick the mites off the bees?

My daughter wants to put beeives near her chickens. Is this wise, or will it lead to war? I would really appreciate advice from anyone ho has tried keeping both.

I keep chickens in my apairys I've had no problems in fact in the winter they clean up any dead winter bee's
Another point they keep the damn slug population down also which has got to help stop the blitters in and around the hives.

Indeed, I know of at least one horse killed by bees here locally, two horses were actually badly stung, one died and they managed to save the other, the owner also ended up in hospital after being badly stung, trying to both brush and hose the bees off the horses.

My chickens are 30m away and I have never had a issue but wouldn't suggest putting hives any closer.
One of my out-apiaries adjoins a field used by horses and the horses stay well clear of the hedge close to my bee hives. The hedge is high and I can only assume that they have learnt to stay away the hard way but thankfully have a large enough field to do so.
S
PS My dog got stung by the electric netting twice when checking out the hens and thinks it was the chickens that stung him, he now keeps clear!

My chickens are 30m away and I have never had a issue but wouldn't suggest putting hives any closer.
One of my out-apiaries adjoins a field used by horses and the horses stay well clear of the hedge close to my bee hives. The hedge is high and I can only assume that they have learnt to stay away the hard way but thankfully have a large enough field to do so.
S
PS My dog got stung by the electric netting twice when checking out the hens and thinks it was the chickens that stung him, he now keeps clear!

I had bees from hell for my first few seasons..my lady friend and her sister got stung a good few times over the years i had them.. around 50 yards from the hives...so did the dog's/horses and sheep but not once did the chickens or ducks get bothered.. the bees i have now are a lot more gentle and i only get stung now and again while inspecting (mainly my fault)..nothing and nobody else has been stung since i changed the strain.. even the horses are safe 5yards away on the other side of the fence when i inspect.. so for me it is down to how aggressive the bees are on a daily basis that will determine whether the chickens would be safe or not.

I had bees from hell for my first few seasons..my lady friend and her sister got stung a good few times over the years i had them.. around 50 yards from the hives...so did the dog's/horses and sheep but not once did the chickens or ducks get bothered.. the bees i have now are a lot more gentle and i only get stung now and again while inspecting (mainly my fault)..nothing and nobody else has been stung since i changed the strain.. even the horses are safe 5yards away on the other side of the fence when i inspect.. so for me it is down to how aggressive the bees are on a daily basis that will determine whether the chickens would be safe or not.

I have the calmest bees you could wish for but even they have off days.
S

Have they killed any of your chooks though.. ;)

No , they get on fine but and it’s a big but I still wouldn’t trust them. It’s too late when a queen mates with the local riff raff and the colony goes rogue.
S

Latest posts

Back