Bees Absconding from mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lots of the lyson mini plus and .........

Thank you for reply. The key question is are the side bars Dadant shallow size i.e. 6.25" / 159mm and if two frames are joined end to end will they fit in a dadant/langstroth box?

We have discussed these before.....

Indeed so, but I still can't get a handle on the box in the Apidea website. The Mini plus / QRN from Thornes seem just a little light, but they work...a few breeders who I know use them. Someone must have info on the Apidea creation:rolleyes:

I think I would only use the two-ways that mbc is talking about as mating nucs and I don't think a queen could over-winter in them[/QUOTE]

The divider comes out and I've overwintered them as single boxes (six frames) ok but prefer to overwinter them as doubles.
They tend to still be solid with ivy honey in the spring and I've not had starvation issues with them overwinter.
Not sure about the frame size, I'd thought they were half medium langs but I don't run langstroths so have nothing to compare them with.
At the price abelo sell them I find them great for mating and overwintering as a stand alone frame size.

I think I would only use the two-ways that mbc is talking about as mating nucs and I don't think a queen could over-winter in them

The divider comes out and I've overwintered them as single boxes (six frames) ok but prefer to overwinter them as doubles.
They tend to still be solid with ivy honey in the spring and I've not had starvation issues with them overwinter.
Not sure about the frame size, I'd thought they were half medium langs but I don't run langstroths so have nothing to compare them with.
At the price abelo sell them I find them great for mating and overwintering as a stand alone frame size.[/QUOTE]

They're actually sightly shorter. I've clipped two plastic frames together and tried them in my mediums but the lug doesn't quite reach the frame rest on the super (that's why I suggested putting a plywood filler in).
I didn't realize that you could stack the Abelo ones and take out the divider. If you can do that, I see no reason why they couldn't be treated exactly the same as the ones I have. I'm amazed that you can get a single box through the winter. I wouldn't have thought there was enough space for winter brood and enough stores - I bow to your experience though. If it works, don't fix it.

People successfully overwinter stacked apideas and kielers too, I imagine these would be more susceptible to turns in the weather come spring though.

People successfully overwinter stacked apideas and kielers too, I imagine these would be more susceptible to turns in the weather come spring though.

They're also a tall-narrow stack with a high centre of gravity. I would have thought that they'd be easy to blow over so I transfer the queens to full colonies late July/August so she has her ow bees around her to over-winter. I put the Apideas away until May.

They're also a tall-narrow stack with a high centre of gravity. I would have thought that they'd be easy to blow over so I transfer the queens to full colonies late July/August so she has her ow bees around her to over-winter. I put the Apideas away until May.

Same, I shake out any apideas and kielers towards the end of august, this is partly why I'm such a fan of the mini plus format, less work and useful queens in the spring leaving ready stocked frames for splitting up for the first round of grafting. I'm still learning and developing a system but it's getting smoother and less effort and more efficient in resources as each season goes by.

I use these hives and can get both the wooden and plastic frames to sit in a dadant super (Lang medium). The wooden frames fit tightly with one frame lug on top of the other, the plastic ones get clipped together and then pulled apart slightly to increase the length , they sag a little in the middle and rest on the frame below it but that's fine.
I over wintered 40 singles and a few doubles and didn't lose any from the weather ( a few turned into DLQ's ). Some hives have home made wooden floors and roofs without insulation but all have the proper feeders on.
A really good little hive.

Thank you all for information. Incidentally Shanvaus Apiaries in their Irish Buckfast Website show an interesting method for uniting apideas, which works very well.

When overwintering kielers I use six frames with a homemade wooden feederboard for fondant or rapid feeder with washing up bowls as deep roof.
Works a treat

Thank you for reply. The key question is are the side bars Dadant shallow size i.e. 6.25" / 159mm and if two frames are joined end to end will they fit in a dadant/langstroth box?

Yes.
I think, from what MBC says, the wooden frames may join together slightly differently from the plastic ones I have.
The plastic frames are the same depth as a medium (I've just popped outside and tried it). They slide together with half of the top bar cut away on each side so they overlap and fit together. The only problem is that they're about an inch short of the top bar to fit properly on the rebate (I tried uploading the photos I just took but the site seems to be having a problem with them). That's why I suggested some sort of filler.

The only problem is that they're about an inch short of the top bar to fit properly on the rebate (I tried uploading the photos I just took but the site seems to be having a problem with them). That's why I suggested some sort of filler.

Admin helped fix the problem. These photos show how the plastic frames link together and that they'e about an inch too short for a medium super

Attachments

• DSC_0001 2.jpg
    DSC_0001 2.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0003 2.jpg
    DSC_0003 2.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back