Beekeeping as a hobby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smith.james0

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I have been lurking on the forum for years.

I have been keeping bees for the best part of 10 years, most of the time with friends / on my own, but over the last few years I have noticed that there are less people keeping bees, or it least it feels that way.
Over winter my circumstances have change and I need to reduce the number of hives I have, my beekeeping friends are in similar position and they are looking to downsize.
We have all found it difficult to reduce the number of hives as there doesn't seem to be the number of people wanting bees. If this just me / my area or is this a national thing? Is beekeeping as a hobby not as popular as it was years ago?

It would be interesting to hear any thoughts

Regards
James

I can't speak for your area of the world but there seems to be a lot of interest down here in the south, albeit with a high turnover as people discover that its not quite as easy as they thought.
There are also a few with, how can I put it, 'high moral/environmental ideals' who give out a false picture online of what the beekeeping world should be like, and reality sadly bites newbies on the bum if they follow said people, leaving more than one or two disillusioned ex beekeepers out there.
My day job is in the world of horticulture and we suffer a similar problem - never have people been so enthusiastic about the natural world and yet so unwilling to do the hard graft necessary.
I will get off my soapbox now!

:serenade:but
I can't speak for your area of the world but there seems to be a lot of interest down here in the south, albeit with a high turnover as people discover that its not quite as easy as they thought.
There are also a few with, how can I put it, 'high moral/environmental ideals' who give out a false picture online of what the beekeeping world should be like, and reality sadly bites newbies on the bum if they follow said people, leaving more than one or two disillusioned ex beekeepers out there.
My day job is in the world of horticulture and we suffer a similar problem - never have people been so enthusiastic about the natural world and yet so unwilling to do the hard graft necessary.
I will get off my soapbox now!

Yep ... pretty much the same where I am - newbies do the course - get some bees and then, much like allotment holders, realise that there's more to it than it looks initially and give up. Those that take to it stay but they are very much in the minority and generally people in later life who can afford the time to do it. Beekeeping for people who are working and have family commitments is a tough one and you need some resilience if you are going to stay with it.

Unfortunately I can agree with the 2nd and 3rd post. Had a “new” beekeeper as keen as mustard to get started. The wheels really got into motion when they got a beehive for their Christmas. I organised a neuc for them (ready about May), I pleaded with them to attend at least 1 hands on visit to an apiary of a beekeeping group (only choice of 2 near me) they picked one. Took them to the AGM and talk. The talk was 1st about OSR, then tea and biscuits then the AGM. During the tea they turned around to me and out of the blue said “I’m not doing that!”. I said what? They said again “I’m not doing that! I’m not doing what that man said!!” I laughed and said you’ll have to! Their reply, “I never knew how much work was involved!” Welcome to the world of beekeeping. Just like everything else in life. You get out of it what you put in. But as for that comment, it’s a non starter!!!

As Pargyle above.

I actually help train beginners. Many have not a hope of beekeeping successfuly - not enough time or commitment.
Many give up after 2-3 years..

I started early 80s certainly appears to be more now than then. I think there have always been some that started and packed up. I guess it’s probably still the same percentage but with the larger numbers starting it may appear more.

As Pargyle above.

I actually help train beginners. Many have not a hope of beekeeping successfuly - not enough time or commitment.
Many give up after 2-3 years..

Funnily enough that’s the time scale id give them. This year be ok as virtually no swarming. Next year definitely swarming and probably will swarm and then cast and cast! No honey and tons of stress. Cheap new hive I think!!!

The drop off in year two beekeepers is why the BBKA asked me to do the column in their magazine. They know that is the vital to try and keep beekeepers. Lose them then and they are gone forever.

Yep ... pretty much the same where I am - newbies do the course - get some bees and then, much like allotment holders, realise that there's more to it than it looks initially and give up. Those that take to it stay but they are very much in the minority and generally people in later life who can afford the time to do it. Beekeeping for people who are working and have family commitments is a tough one and you need some resilience if you are going to stay with it.

Ah yes that conversation... wife ‘ah it’s a lovely day shall we take the kids to the beach today?’ Me yea just got to pop over do the bees a minute!! Hour or 2 later :)

Some interesting comments, I had a great mentor for the first three years of beekeeping (he kept 70 hives) so I was well aware of the work needed (both in summer and winter)

For me there are a number of factors why I need to down size;
I've changed jobs - I have a longer working day
I now have commitments in the evenings
I now have kids and the kids have now started all the clubs/parties etc at the weekends
At the weekends the wife /kids want to go out (visit places)
I don't have the space to keep them without annoying other people - there are less places for me to keep bees.

For me I feel like I have lost the passion, which is disappointing as I love to watch them going about there business, I think the main factor I cannot dedicate the time I once could, when ever I go to the bees I am always up against the clock and having to rush.

I spoke to a friend and beekeeper earlier today, we both started keeping bees at about the same time, but him like me does not have the time to look after his bees as much as he would like due to family and work commitments.

Perhaps, as mentioned above, beekeeping is more for people who have the time either before kids or later in life, or people who can juggle it all better than me!

If you know anyone is south Manchester way who is after some bees let me know.

Regards
James

I don’t think it helps much when you see things like auto hive or flow hive, sounds really good and just about as easy as selecting a jar of honey from the supermarket shelf. If only it was that easy lol

For me I feel like I have lost the passion, which is disappointing as I love to watch them going about there business, I think the main factor I cannot dedicate the time I once could, when ever I go to the bees I am always up against the clock and having to rush.

Perhaps, as mentioned above, beekeeping is more for people who have the time either before kids or later in life, or people who can juggle it all better than me!

When there is a contest between bees and family it's a no brainer ... bees will be around for several more million years so there will be plenty of time to come back to beekeeping in the future when the pressures you now face are lessened (if you wish).

You can't enjoy beekeeping when your time is so limited and to be honest the bees sense when you are stressed or in a hurry and they can be less enjoyable.

At least you got some good years out of it and are giving up for the right reasons .. many I see giving up just don't want the hard work that goes with beekeeping and give up almost at the first fence.

Good luck with whatever the future brings ...

much like allotment holders, realise that there's more to it than it looks initially and give up.

I am secretary of an allotment association and this hits the nail right on the head. New plot holders often do not appreciate the time and hard work needed to look after even a five pole plot.

More than half of new plot holders last less than one season. The dream of all that fresh healthy produce, hit by the reality of digging, weeding, watering and hoeing, plus coping with birds, rabbits, slugs and other pests and plant diseases.

I guess it is similar for many new beekeepers.

Number of colonies registered in the UK - Parliamentary question

Written Question
Bees
24 Mar 2020, 4:07 p.m.

Questioner: Alex Sobel

Question

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, pursuant to the Answer of 12 March 2020 to Question 26166, what assessment he has made of the reasons for the increase in bee colonies since 2009.

Answer (Rebecca Pow)

In 2009 the Government launched the Healthy Bees Plan. The plan’s aim was to achieve a sustainable and healthy population of managed honey bees in England and Wales via strengthened partnership working between Government and beekeeping stakeholders.

The first stage included a drive to increase our knowledge of the number and location of honey bee colonies. This meant promoting the benefits to beekeepers of registering their managed honey bee colonies on the National Bee Unit’s voluntary website, BeeBase. Since 2009 the number of colonies in England and Wales recorded on BeeBase has increased from 108,649 to 212,054 in 2019. However, some of this increase will be due to new registrations of existing beekeepers rather than entirely made up of new colonies or beekeepers.

Knowing the location of beekeepers and their honey bee colonies has improved our ability to manage bee pests and diseases, raising husbandry standards through the sharing of best practice. In addition to better recording of colony numbers, it is thought beekeeping itself has also seen a revival with respondents to a recent Government survey indicating that pleasure, production of honey and conservation were important reasons for taking up the craft.

Latest posts

Back