Beehives, bees and location.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottishbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
After researching beekeeping and being a member of my local and national associations for 2 years I am looking to purchase beehives and bees this year. I live on a farm in the Scottish Borders at an altitude of 850 ft. The weather can be extreme with the snow being very stubborn and the seasons are very short. What's everyones advice on which hive I should use...I would like to use the National for ease but some people from the local association (not that local to me as we are 25miles from the nearest shop) use the Smith hives. I have also thought about polystyrene. My nearest beekeeper (10 miles) at an altitude of 1000ft has lost 2 of her 3 hives over the last 2 winters, she uses Nationals.
Also, as there are no other bees in the locality do you think I should buy bees from different suppliers to open up the gene pool? I'd like to get 3 hives.
Your opinions would be most appreciated!

Poly? As long as they are strapped down.

Must be windy if her hives got bown completely away!

Regards, RAB

Sorry, her's didn't get blown away, just her numbers got so low and she lost the bees. Her hives are still fine!

Nice dig though RAB. LoL People need to mean what they say and think about the lattitude that misuse of words gives others for misunderstanding or plain ribbing. :)

After researching beekeeping and being a member of my local and national associations for 2 years I am looking to purchase beehives and bees this year. I live on a farm in the Scottish Borders at an altitude of 850 ft. The weather can be extreme with the snow being very stubborn and the seasons are very short. What's everyones advice on which hive I should use...I would like to use the National for ease but some people from the local association (not that local to me as we are 25miles from the nearest shop) use the Smith hives. I have also thought about polystyrene. My nearest beekeeper (10 miles) at an altitude of 1000ft has lost 2 of her 3 hives over the last 2 winters, she uses Nationals.
Also, as there are no other bees in the locality do you think I should buy bees from different suppliers to open up the gene pool? I'd like to get 3 hives.
Your opinions would be most appreciated!

if i lived north of the Wall, i would use poly hives of National format or langstroth, but if you says smiths are common, then perhaps poly nationals with smith frames ,just need to centralise them, my counsin runs a mix of smith and nationals all on smith frames but then he lives south of the wall

try weld place farm bees, highland bees or Cornish honey for poly national or Modern beekeeping for poly langstroth

Last edited:
Modern beekeeping for poly langstroth

And they are soon to supply Nationals, too. Next few weeks?

Regards, RAB

ok guys...thanks for the good advice from a couple of you.
Thanks for the digs! I don't think I'll bother with your forum if all you are going to do is be arsey.

Stick around for a short while Scottishbee you will see that we are not so bad but we do have a few members that like to lord it over the rest of us its just part of the territory

Stick around for a short while Scottishbee you will see that we are not so bad but we do have a few members that like to lord it over the rest of us its just part of the territory

The information you get here FAR FAR outweighs the odd brickbat.
SO do stay.
There's no such thing as a daft question.........somebody somewhere will share your need of it being answered: now a mistake in syntax? That's a different kettle of fish ;);)

ok guys...thanks for the good advice from a couple of you.
Thanks for the digs! I don't think I'll bother with your forum if all you are going to do is be arsey.

Stick around, they are just suffering from cabin fever at the moment, as soon as the bees start flying properly they will all cheer up.

I run smiths down here in Derbyshire but have converted them to 14x12, however I am quite interested in the up and coming national poly from modern beekeeping aka rooftops.

Well done Rab.

Sorree P H. Perhaps it is being Scottish that means you have a dour sense of humour? or none at all.

I can't believe how rude some people can be, perhaps there are others that need to look at what they write in here when they criticise people for not using the correct words.

Not very welcoming if you ask me.

Agree

As long as you can understand a post here there seems little point in correcting anybody.
My daughter does private tuition so that as a starving, resting actress she can feed herself and even at degree level bad phrasing and incorrect spelling is not penalised at some institutions.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I think it is such a shame that this thread has turned into a bit of a slagging match. I would also like to add that I did mean altitude and not latitude, we are 850 ft above sea, and I mentioned this as it means we do not have many flowers that survive up here and the trees do not grow well, our summer season is very short, I thought it might help others understand my concerns for chosing the most suitable hive....the wind isn't that much stronger up here!!! As for my qualifications, not that it is relevant, I am qualified to degree level but have chosen to marry a farmer and am now a shepherdess. I would like to thank people for thier personal messages but when I work out how to do it I will leave the forum.

I'd invest in a polyhive. Then you have the choice of National or Langstroth.
One of our members farms bees in Finland and his season might be comparable to yours. That's what he houses his bees in.
I'm moving two of my cedar Nationals on to poly this year.

stick around scottishbee i have only just joined and have found that it is a bit clicky but they all mean well.

if i was you i would look for localy sourced bees as people say they are better. but i disagree i sourced my bees from the other side of the country and they have been fine

i run buckfast queens which fly in cooler weather low swarm tendancy and not to agrresive so if i was you i would do some reaserch take advice from local beekeepers

if i can help any more just ask

Back