Beehaus Blowing Over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or so you thought RAB! It's hardly Omlette's fault if consumers dont buy all the optional extra's. I'm sure I saw the 'safe land' self-deployer available on their web-site.

:rofl::rofl:

You should suggest it and get some commission!

Adam

I am a rooftop beek, on Nationals and 14X12. The hives sit 4 stories up in narrow gullies, with knee-high parapets, either side of the roof apex. (The Beehaus footings are too wide to sit in the gullies on one side and the length would make moving around very difficult on the other side).

I strapped the hives up last week (adding a couple of slate tiles to the roof beforehand) and am confident that they will stay put. They certainly survived the intense storms last November,although I lost a Queen in one hive.

Anyhow, when you consider how much bee-related Insurance my annual £13 to BDI buys (£5 million each Public Liability and Products Liability, with £2 million each of Professional Indemnity and Directors and Officers' Liability (?)), the chances of it raining beehives on the street would seem to be actuarily remote.

Still, fingers crossed !

They may well market anything they could make a huge profit on!

I was thinking of helium balloons, to arrest the acceleration, but it didn't seem to work too well for the 'Beagle'.

Regards, RAB

when you consider how much bee-related Insurance my annual £13 to BDI buys (£5 million each Public Liability and Products Liability, with £2 million each of Professional Indemnity and Directors and Officers' Liability (?)), the chances of it raining beehives on the street would seem to be actually remote.

Still, fingers crossed !

Hmmmm. Interestingly your BDI contribution for one to three hives should be £0 or 4 to 5 hives £2.00.

Bernard Daiper would be interested to know that you feel you have the degree of cover stated and attributed to DBI in your post, but would probably suggest to you that the £13 component of your annual association renewal fee is actually the BBKA membership component which does give you cover something like the figures you cite.

As always, the devil is in the detail, or alternatively quite willing to point it out. for you :) :)

Glad to hear of course that you are over the moon with your BDI cover however. £13 is sufficient to cover 29 hives, if you feel that it's good value for money of course, but that's best kept for another thread.

Hombre,

Thanks for the numbers, sorry for any mis-attribition, but I think you get my drift related to the Beehaus/blowing away topic on this thread.

If you have some spare time on your hands, you might want to investigate whether there is any other sphere of activity where an individual can get multi-million insurance cover for a few quid ?

Djg, it didn't take much to realise your error in attribution. I think that it might have been your aversion to mentioning the BBKA here that was responsible, but sincerely doubt that also. I do hate the true facts getting in the way of a potentially good story though . . . :biggrinjester:

I have to agree with you that the insurance is of good value and comforting to know the cover is there should it be necessary..

this is quite topical as we are in for some windy weather tonight\tomorrow.

will be interesting hearing whether hives have blown over\away tomorrow!

Beehaus standing this time

Hi thanks for all the comments but we are in a major storm now and with some anchoring of the beehaus legs it is standing proud apart from the inspection board which is now 2 fields away in my pond and it does not float :(

Mightily windy here at the mo. Gusts of 45mph measured in the garden, lashing horizontal rain and so dark. Hive stand is actually made of fence posts driven into the ground with a frame built around them, the boxes strapped to that. Should be safe but will just pop out to look and put the chickens to bed at the same time.

Now then, how many times have I said the inspection board/varroa board is nothing short of a joke? So, sorry, but I am smiling. Yours will probably not be the only one that gets loose tonight. At least you know where your's is!

Regards, RAB

Just been outside "batterning down the hatches". Greenhouse is in the full westly exposure of it all.

A stack of suppers 10 high (my fault) have blown over, but it was like the leaning tower of Piza anyway, other sensible hight stacks are OK.

All hives OK. Beehaus is standing well, but like I said a while back, varroa baord is very easly blows off. But realy neither use not ornamant as a varroa board (for treatment).

Latest posts

Back