Bee Temperament

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I inspected 5 of my colonies today, 3 were very calm which were colonies on the build up with no honey in the supers. 2 were very lively, flying at my veil & buzzing around in a big cloud, with 4 or 5 still going for the veil after I had closed up. These 2 colonies have a couple of full supers. So I presume the bees are like this because they are quite naturally protecting their honey.
I really enjoy going through the calm colonies, but not so much the lively ones, not from fear, I didn’t get stung, but you have to smoke the bees so they don’t get crusheshed when replacing frames and closing up, it’s a lot more full on, less relaxed.
When I remove the supers and extract will the bees get worse because they have lost their honey or will they get more calm because there is nothing to protect?
Also, as it is getting towards midsummer and their inclination to swarm should be dropping, is it better for these colonies to drop the weekly inspection? Maybe inspect every other week, would this help calm the bees?
Thanks Nick

One thing I've learned this year is not to tolerate poorly behaved colonies. I'd be inclined to requeen them both from the better colonies if they continue to exhibit poor behaviour for more than a couple of weeks.

I inspected five yesterday and one boiled up as soon as I cracked a super after smoking.

When I came back a later, I cracked a super again and got three stings in my fingers and wrist. The others were fine, but this colony can wait until next time as always a bit arsed in stormy weather.

I inspected 5 of my colonies today, 3 were very calm which were colonies on the build up with no honey in the supers. 2 were very lively, flying at my veil & buzzing around in a big cloud, with 4 or 5 still going for the veil after I had closed up. These 2 colonies have a couple of full supers. So I presume the bees are like this because they are quite naturally protecting their honey.
I really enjoy going through the calm colonies, but not so much the lively ones, not from fear, I didn’t get stung, but you have to smoke the bees so they don’t get crusheshed when replacing frames and closing up, it’s a lot more full on, less relaxed.
When I remove the supers and extract will the bees get worse because they have lost their honey or will they get more calm because there is nothing to protect?
Also, as it is getting towards midsummer and their inclination to swarm should be dropping, is it better for these colonies to drop the weekly inspection? Maybe inspect every other week, would this help calm the bees?
Thanks Nick

Thanks for the replies, I will see what they are like next weekend, it was stormy here too, many of the flying bees were probably in as well.
I may raise some queens off of one of my calm hives.

My hive records include one word comments on temper if bad and tick if OK.. Three words in a row = requeening threat.

Latest posts

Back