Bee swarm into tree hollow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, One of my hives have swarmed into a tree hollow 20ft up and about 200yds from my apiary . Is there any way of enticing them out into a nuc or a swarm bate box.
Regards
Liam C.

Hi All, One of my hives have swarmed into a tree hollow 20ft up and about 200yds from my apiary . Is there any way of enticing them out into a nuc or a swarm bate box.
Regards
Liam C.

If they have indeed moved in, then cutting the tree down and then apart would be the only way of getting the colony (inc Q) back.
If you did that, DerekM would like full details of the cavity measurements while you have the opportunity ...

If they have indeed moved in, then cutting the tree down and then apart would be the only way of getting the colony (inc Q) back.
If you did that, DerekM would like full details of the cavity measurements while you have the opportunity ...

:icon_204-2:

If they have just moved in (today) you could indeed try a bait hive with some old frames within a few yards of the tree.
I was advised by a commercial beekeeper that this occasionally works when a swarm is trying to take up residence in the fabric of dwellings.
I suppose it is always worth a try?

Last edited:
Doing anything to the tree is not a option and bees are in the tree a week now. It would be interesting to see how long they last in the wild.

Getting bees out of tree with out cutting tree

Well I don't even own I bee as yet but did go to a class the other day and that situation you describe was in discussion and had a sample of how to get the bees with out cutting the tree. The took some of the 8 gage wire like what is on the bottom of the hives and mad a funnel about 14 inches long and took a flat piece of the wire and cut a hole and fitted the large end if the funnel thru it and secured it with some thing wire.
Next they said to nail this flat section of wire to the tree with the funnel over the hole large end of course.The small end was about 1 inch diameter circle.They said the nauil the flat wire on the tree and put caulking wround the hole so the bees could't get back in the tree with the bark being irregular they could crawl back in.the said place your trap box close as you can to the hole.They explained that the bees would walk out the funnel and fly but couldn't figure how to get back so they would go in the box!You wouldn't get the queen but would get the bees.
Well that is the story from Tennesse today!!

Well I don't even own I bee as yet but did go to a class the other day and that situation you describe was in discussion and had a sample of how to get the bees with out cutting the tree. ...
You wouldn't get the queen but would get the bees.
Well that is the story from Tennesse today!!

Yes, at best, you might get some bees. Only.

The point is that you will not get the colony.

Yes, at best, you might get some bees. Only.

The point is that you will not get the colony.

:iagree:

And the queen will be left behind, and will probably starve to death.

[quoteIt would be interesting to see how long they last in the wild.[/quote]

About 3000 years :spy: As long as we don't posion the planet....

if you were closer i would give you a colony of bees just to let those stay in their tree.

Thanks DerekM but l should have 6 or 7 hives going into the winter thanks for the kind offer so l think l will leave them be and see what happens and may be keep the forum posted.
Liam C

I had a swarm move into a laburnum tree 4 years ago. Ever since they have thrived and swarmed several times. They seem very happy without any intervation from anyone. Mine are only 5 ft off the ground but there is no way I could/ or wish entice them out.

I hope they survive and thrive.

G

if you were closer i would give you a colony of bees just to let those stay in their tree.

Are you not worried about varroa? I was told that colonies in the wild would last three years at best without treatment.

Are you not worried about varroa? I was told that colonies in the wild would last three years at best without treatment.

Why worry? What about the wild colonies you don't know about that might be nearby?
They may survive...who's to say that a colony "in the wild" hasn't disease fighting advantages to those we keep in a box. They may die out and be re-colonised. The colony is nevertheless thriving and I think that's good. :)

Back