Bee suits ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Want to buy a second suit, so currently having a good look around various suppliers.
The one i have is, an all in one, fencing hood style from th**nes.
Happy with it except find that on a very sunny day, its like been trapped in a sauna.
The hood also falls forward too much, and find myself having to adjust it all the time through inspections.
Could do with some advice on, which all in one bee suit would be cooler to wear, give good protection and also what type of hood style?
What supplier has them?
Sharon

Want to buy a second suit, so currently having a good look around various suppliers.
The one i have is, an all in one, fencing hood style from th**nes.
Happy with it except find that on a very sunny day, its like been trapped in a sauna.
The hood also falls forward too much, and find myself having to adjust it all the time through inspections.
Could do with some advice on, which all in one bee suit would be cooler to wear, give good protection and also what type of hood style?
What supplier has them?
Sharon

Have you looked at sheriff, I like the hoods and you can buy just a hood

Try the one from M____s__e. Fencing style hood and a 3 layer construction of different meshes.
I have one made of the same material. Bought it in the USA. It is totally sting proof due to the three layers but cool as the mesh allows circulation. It is sais you can go commando in this suit, I regularly use it in shorts and tee shirt and do not get stung through the suit.

Sharon

If the hood of your current suit falls forward, wear a wide brimmed hat or baseball cap to stop this happening.

I have 2 BBwear suits with fencing style hoods.. They would fall forward too so if you don't want to wear a hat, they are probably not for you. They keep me fairly cool.
Cazza (They also come in more interesting colours than white or beige, my favourite is "nasturtium.")

Try the one from M____s__e. Fencing style hood and a 3 layer construction of different meshes.
I have one made of the same material. Bought it in the USA. It is totally sting proof due to the three layers but cool as the mesh allows circulation. It is sais you can go commando in this suit, I regularly use it in shorts and tee shirt and do not get stung through the suit.

that suit sounds good brian whats the name of the company that supplies them

If the hood of your current suit falls forward, wear a wide brimmed hat or baseball cap to stop this happening.

Remember not to buy a baseball cap with the peak in the back though.
I like the BBwear suits - polycotton is a bit coller for summer wear, although that does mean not totally sting proof.

I have a Swienty all in one suit with round hat which I got from M*dern B*ekeeping, I have never been stung through it and I usually just wear trousers and a T shirt underneath. It has good wide ankle and wrist cuffs and there's zips on the ankles to make it easier to get your feet in and out. It also has reinforcements at the knee, and zip pockets. I like the round hat style because I don't have to worry about any sneaky beggars settling on the back of my neck, it's also cooler because the it's away from my neck so air can get in.

The only disadvantage I have found is that it sometimes gets in the way a bit if I'm trying to peer up close at a frame to look for eggs. It also only comes in white.

The one i have is, an all in one, fencing hood style from th**nes. Happy with it except find that on a very sunny day, its like been trapped in a sauna. The hood also falls forward too much, and find myself having to adjust it all the time through inspections...
Th0rnes and others at the sale/basic end are heavy cotton. Which is OK but hot in the sun and takes a while to dry after washing. The mesh also tends to be less robust, holes may appear after a few seasons and some economise on zip quality. Usual recommended companies are Sherriff and BBwear, both use lighter poly cotton as standard, have even lighter variants and lots of colours if that's your thing. The mesh is longer lasting but if there are bramble tears in mesh or suit, you can send them back for repairs. There are confirmed fans of both but I'd be happy with either.

Hoods are a bit of a personal preference and a lot depends on your hair (or lack of), neck length and eyesight (annoying if the mesh is at your ideal focus length). If you prefer the fencing type the quality makers are generally fairly roomy in the hood. If it falls too far forward some improvise with a bulldog clip or sew a couple of stitches when the right position is found. Some like the mesh off the face and wear a baseball cap.

Having got through cheaper ones, I keep one suit as a spare/visitor suit. I'm happy with my bb in sage, white looks too much like a biohazard incident. I only wear a cap when there's wind about or I'm doing something disrupting when long sleeves replace the usual polo shirt. Fencing style but I keep a mesh round hat down the allotment for a "quick look", that's not advice, just what I do.

I have a Swienty (Modern Beek'ing) suit.
It was good value in their sale.

BUT the vented hat IS a sting vulnerability, as I discovered when visiting a rather ham-fisted, stir 'em up beek...
The hat also blows around in the wind, and lacks a chinstrap.

I've just got a BB jacket, using the association 20% discount scheme. Its great.
A (unique?) design feature of the BB kit is that the hat and fencing veil have the identical zip 'interface' so you can swap them over. Genius!
And their hat comes with a chinstrap, if I ever think of adding the hat.

I'm now contemplating getting a non-matching-colour pair of BB overtrousers -- so as to look less like a beekeeper from a distance!

I still think beginners should get an all-in-one suit for initial confidence, but once I realised just how much I was wearing my £5 Thorne sale 'observer smock' rather than struggle in and out of the suit, I decided to get the splendid jacket (rather than one of the BB full suits).

What supplier has them?
Sharon

During the hottest bit of the summer I rinsed my hair just before doing bee inspections - that mean my head was cool during the inspections. If you don't wear glasses then a water sprayer is an easy way to stay cool in it!

How do you want the hood to stay? Could you use some wire or a stitch or two to alter the hood?

During the hottest bit of the summer I rinsed my hair just before doing bee inspections - that mean my head was cool during the inspections. If you don't wear glasses then a water sprayer is an easy way to stay cool in it!

How do you want the hood to stay? Could you use some wire or a stitch or two to alter the hood?

Hi alldigging,
I just find it falls too much forward which obstructs my sight, so have to keep pulling it back. A stitch in it may do the trick.
Biggest problem is the heat in it. Doesn't make inspections too enjoyable on a good sunny day.
I want to try to get something more breathable with good protection.
Was wondering what hood style would be best ,and what did others try & find good.
Sharon

I have a Swienty (Modern Beek'ing) suit.
It was good value in their sale.

BUT the vented hat IS a sting vulnerability, as I discovered when visiting a rather ham-fisted, stir 'em up beek...
The hat also blows around in the wind, and lacks a chinstrap.

I've just got a BB jacket, using the association 20% discount scheme. Its great.
A (unique?) design feature of the BB kit is that the hat and fencing veil have the identical zip 'interface' so you can swap them over. Genius!
And their hat comes with a chinstrap, if I ever think of adding the hat.

I'm now contemplating getting a non-matching-colour pair of BB overtrousers -- so as to look less like a beekeeper from a distance!

I still think beginners should get an all-in-one suit for initial confidence, but once I realised just how much I was wearing my £5 Thorne sale 'observer smock' rather than struggle in and out of the suit, I decided to get the splendid jacket (rather than one of the BB full suits).

Thanks itma
That sounds great .If I didn't like the fence hood, I could buy the other and it will fit.
I wonder will it work with the all in one suit ?
Sharon

I have 2 BBwear suits with fencing style hoods.. They would fall forward too so if you don't want to wear a hat, they are probably not for you. They keep me fairly cool.
Cazza (They also come in more interesting colours than white or beige, my favourite is "nasturtium.")

Thanks cazza
BB wear sounds good. Did you buy from a supplier?

Will have a look Brian, thank you.
Sharon

The BBwear suits, zip jackets and smocks all have the same 'veil interface zip'. So any hat/veil should fit any other garment.
Also worth noting that their 'made to measure' service only adds £10 to a suit, £6 to a separate.

I've not worn my jacket in really hot conditions, but the material is quite lightweight but very tightly woven polycotton. Amazingly, the label says washable up to 85C. Serious stuff.

They do also offer "lightweight" all-polyester garments that are specifically intended to be cooler. No personal experience. And a different range of colours.

They were happy to send me fabric samples for seeing the colours. (I chose boring Biscuit!)

// Website: www.bbwear.co.uk - I have no connection other than as the buyer of one discounted jacket!

Last edited:
Hi alldigging,
I just find it falls too much forward which obstructs my sight, so have to keep pulling it back. A stitch in it may do the trick.
Try gathering it at the rear with a a safety pin. When you work out what your best position for a pleat is, get the needle out.

Try gathering it at the rear with a a safety pin. When you work out what your best position for a pleat is, get the needle out.

Cheers Alanf,
I will do that, at least that bit sorted out with the hood. Sewing machine to the rescue.
Sharon

Thanks so much itma,
Makes sense to try them. And an added bonus that the veils are inter changeable.
Are they big fitting or same as thornes.
Thanks again for giving your time in replies, much appreciated.
Sharon

Surprised no one has mentioned Sherriff so far.

I have a couple and I reckon they're level pegging with BB wear.
Certainly these two seem to get equal support here.

I can't fault them, like the 'accessories' suck as pickets, clips and zip configuration. Sizing is generous with lots of options - and a good colour range.

So take a look.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back