bee spacing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smith.james0

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
In a nuc how much space do you need between the bottom of the frame and the floor?

Thanks James

same as in a full hive?

unless you are likely to be using it for swarm collecting when a little more space to allow the frames to be inserted (into the seething mass of bees) might be advisable.

Last edited:
If you are making, the more over a bee space the better. I don't think it then matters a jot really - apart from more bulk and weight in the construction.

If they started to build under the combs it would be a timely message that you are lucky they have not gone into swarm mode and disappeared already! Usual is about 30mm.

hmmmm...... looks like I measured wrong somewhere down the line, if I use 14 x 12 in it I have 5-6mm gap at the bottom (Loving the imperial / metric) looks like I will be using DN4's

James

looks like I measured wrong somewhere down the line, if I use 14 x 12 in it I have 5-6mm gap at the bottom

Remove floor (if fixed), invert nuc body and nail/screw on a 20mm, or so, strip. Job sorted.

Question may arise as to where the other 'bit' might be or whether you used the wrong measurement from the start? Like how big is the top space?

Remove floor (if fixed), invert nuc body and nail/screw on a 20mm, or so, strip. Job sorted.
On that basis I suppose that if the floor was glued and not likely to come off easily, you could I suppose also increase height at the top????

looks like I measured wrong somewhere down the line, if I use 14 x 12 in it I have 5-6mm gap at the bottom

Question may arise as to where the other 'bit' might be or whether you used the wrong measurement from the start? Like how big is the top space?

I think it's 6mm, I will take the bottom of and add 20mm :roll eyes:

James

Back