bee space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
looking at the comb that the bees make (brace) is it the width that we call the bee space or is drone comb thye bee space this is just observation i know if i measured it i would probably know not worthy

Beespace is what it says. The space that the bees walk about in. For example National hives (usually) have bottom bee space. That means there is enough space below the frames for a bee to walk about. Other types of hive have their bee space at the top of the frames.

In the supers there will be one bee space for bees to move and work between the combs. In the brood box there will be enough space for two bees to work back to back on the frames. Guess you might call that double beespace.

If the comb has drone brood, neighbour frames' cells are shorter and give space to drone pupae.

I think you are mixing bee space and cell size.
Bee space is 6 - 9mm except if you are a hive manufacturer when it's 10mm.

Standard worker cell size is usually 5.3mm

All thisis from my memory so no doubt if dimensions are incorrect someone will say.

Also from memory for the non-metric, on the imperial scale five worker cells or four drone cells per inch of comb. Being old fashioned seems easier.

Don't make this difficult. Bees take care what they need.
Frame maker take care too that a gap between is proper.

What was the problem?

Latest posts

Back