Bee sheds or Similar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
After making a exceptionally sticky mess in the kitchen, and also accidently leaving the door open for thousands of bees to find it, my wife, for some reason was a bit moody. Actually she was extremely fed up. I have been banned from extracting honey in the house otherwise something else may be extracted from my body. Does anyone extract their honey in a shed? How do you make it hygienic? Easy to clean and insect proof comes to mind. Recommendations and suggestions for sheds/ setups welcome (as would advise on calming the other half. Seems you need a licence for tranquilisers). I can't be the only poor banished poor soul on here.

After making a exceptionally sticky mess in the kitchen, and also accidently leaving the door open for thousands of bees to find it, my wife, for some reason was a bit moody. Actually she was extremely fed up. I have been banned from extracting honey in the house otherwise something else may be extracted from my body. Does anyone extract their honey in a shed? How do you make it hygienic? Easy to clean and insect proof comes to mind. Recommendations and suggestions for sheds/ setups welcome (as would advise on calming the other half. Seems you need a licence for tranquilisers). I can't be the only poor banished poor soul on here.
I'm planning one but too early to say how good it'll be- a few on here may be able to advise @Newbeeneil?

Reactions: Ely
been banned from Kitchen for full extractions for a whilst. Without a dedicated area it is a pain to prepare my area storage area, clean in, extract and clean up, whilst keeping bee / wasp free for any time. I just get on as quickly as possible. Suggest that the 'bees' pay for a meal out / weekend away - depending on how well the year has gone - can be helpful :cool:

Buy a shed, completely line it in builders board, stick tongue and groove plastic wall planks on the walls for easy clean , tile the floor or use vinyl cut offs
Makes sure you can get water and electricity to it and Bob's your uncle!

Buy a shed, completely line it in builders board, stick tongue and groove plastic wall planks on the walls for easy clean , tile the floor or use vinyl cut offs
Makes sure you can get water and electricity to it and Bob's your uncle!
This sounds pretty good. I did have visions of lining a shed in plastic. Similar to Dexter when he's preparing a kill room.

This sounds pretty good. I did have visions of lining a shed in plastic. Similar to Dexter when he's preparing a kill room.
Better not cause any more upset in the household. I'm getting the impression you're sharing your dwelling with a female Bricktop.

• Haha
If I was building a new room I would ideally use a 20’ container and line either with plastic sheeting or timber coated in 2 pack epoxy.
But since most here will probably be looking at converting a shed I would do as follows.
1 Reinforce the floor to prevent flexing of the floor.
2 Lay a floor made of flooring sheets screwed and glued with PU Glue.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/P5-Tongue+...oo6B3BoCXCMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#gad_source=1
3 Line the walls with the same material and the ceiling with a 12mm ply sheet.
4 Make a window from a sheet of glass with a 10mm gap at the top and put another 100mm strip of glass on the inside with a 10mm gap between them.
5 Coat the floor with a heavy duty two pack epoxy.
6 Coat all other surfaces with a water based two pack epoxy.
7 Light the interior well with LED lights.
8 Pick up a 2 bowl sink from a local Facebook page.
Heat water with a small heater something like this.

https://www.toolstation.com/ferroli-cubo-oversink-water-heater/p27091

I used the plastic going and groove in my indoor swimming pool which is inside a barn. Brilliant stuff, easy to wipe down and clean. Wickes sell it.

Sympathy++ - and I have no room to place a large shed. Beekeeping for me is just a wonderful hobby but extracting in a smallish kitchen is a PITA for both of us. I have no problem selling honey so would happily pay someone £15 per super to extract the crop into buckets.

I used the plastic going and groove in my indoor swimming pool which is inside a barn. Brilliant stuff, easy to wipe down and clean. Wickes sell it.
I used the same in my workshop with a breathable membrane and insulation between it and the outside wall. It all helps with temperature control. Mine is from Universal plastics (UPL) though I don't know if they are nationwide.

Latest posts

Back