bee proof netting for vehicle - recommendations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm looking for recommendations for some sort of temporary screen. I want to put it up in the back of my van to prevent any bees in the far back of the van from annoying my children (and dog) who will be sitting in the front. Anybody seen a setup like this? Any off the shelf suppliers. It's for a VW transporter sized van.

e.g. when transporting supers that havn't been totally cleared

Clear more bees out.

I brush the bees off and place the frame in an empty box over a solid crown board, with a correx roof on, that drops back down. This allows the process to be done easily on my own.

You can never have enough crown boards.

I think from 11 supers we had two bees this year.

Hi i used fly screen netting, its cheap- pound shop or ebay, i wrapped my hive in it, and gaffer taped it across inside of my van.... i drove 70 miles it worked....

However good you get at closing hives, clearing supers or taping mesh across your van there will sometimes be loose bees. Go the other way and train your dog/children to take no notice of a few de programed stragglers.

Net curtains from a charity shop.

Drape it over the hive(s) rather than trying to form a barrier between the hives and the rest of the vehicle, then any bees that do escape during transit should be kept in the right place.

Last edited:
The Mesh company sells metal meshes (e.g. stainless or galvanized steel etc) on rolls to cut to size if you don't mind spending a bit more. Also good for travel screens, Varroa mesh floors etc

www.themeshcompany.com/

One of the ladies in our association uses net curtains which she has sewn to fit over the hive. She also covers swarms the same way.

Erm... Don't take the kids or dog with you.

Supers fit quite nicely into black bin bags. Easy enough to tie a knot in the top.

You can buy fly screen mesh on #-Bay 1.2m wide and £3-£5 per meter; make a wooden frame to suit your vehicle and staple it on. The mesh is also useful for repairing or replacing damaged veils.
Alan

Back