Bee printed organic cotton fabric for beeswax wraps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone recommend any links for buying organic cotton fabric to make food wraps? Nice to have a fabric with a bee or hive or honeycomb print on the fabric.

Cotton grown in regions with increasingly unstable climatic conditions, and bad growing years might make it very difficult to source truly organic cotton produced to internationally recognized organic farming standards (EU regulation 834/2007, USA NOP, Indian NPOP, or Japanese JAS). Australia, one of the world's largest exporters of raw cotton mainly to Asian mills, comes to mind.

Cotton grown in regions with increasingly unstable climatic conditions, and bad growing years might make it very difficult to source truly organic cotton produced to internationally recognized organic farming standards (EU regulation 834/2007, USA NOP, Indian NPOP, or Japanese JAS). Australia, one of the world's largest exporters of raw cotton mainly to Asian mills, comes to mind.

Cotton must be the most un environmentally friendly crop grown on the planet, uses 16 % + of the worldwide manufacturing capability of organic pesticides and massive amounts of water, but occupies only 2% of viable agricultural land.

However I believe most of the beeswax wraps are bought from one manufacturer as all the dyed cotton sheets seem to have much the same pattern on them... either franchised or knocked out at rock bottom wholesale price and then given a massive mark up, at one county show last year I was offered a cotton hankie and a block of beeswax to make my own!

Source Linen.

My VEGAN friend uses clingfilm!

It's not the cotton you need to worry about for the bees wax wraps, it's what they have been dyed with that can cause problems i.e They need to be coloured with food safe dyes or you run the risk of contaminating any foods wrapped in them.

It's not the cotton you need to worry about for the bees wax wraps

Nor just the dye, but also the wax. Wrap-makers seem to use run-of-the-mill beeswax, which we know contains any number of contaminants and chemicals. If I was to make wraps I'd use cappings wax only.

Latest posts

Back