Bee predator wasp/hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wskanaan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all.

I am a hobbyist when it comes to bee keeping and haven't done much bee keeping for years. I plan to return soon and have been doing some research to catch up. However, there is one thing I just cannot find yet.

I was checking my bee hives once towards the fall time when I noticed a large wasp/hornet (couldn't tell the difference) that would come in front of the hive, hover about one and a half meters above the ground and catch bees while they were taking off. There were two or three ones doing this. They would take their catch, go away, and come back later to catch more. The one thing I remember about these is that they had a single large brownish stripe around the abdomen.

Has anyone seen these? I have looked around the net for some time and haven't found anything related.

Thanks in advance.

Could bee wrong here but from what i remember its hornets and they are doing it to diminish the numbers so that they can then get in and do their worst.

I am sure a proper expert will tell you in a more scientific way than I :)

Hornets for sure!

They are predators which catch other insects to take back to thier nests to feed thier own young.
Hornets will take out a wasp nest too.

Hi.

Thanks for your replies.

What is the best way to handle these hornets? Unlike the smaller yellow jakets these did not seem interested in looking around for food. They knew what they wanted and went for it. Would a wasp trap work with these?

I have accidentally caught hornets in a wasp traps... but they are protected species

We had a hornets nest in one of our stables, but when I find them near the bees, they get a good swiping and give them a headache. (they fly well!)

I don't believe they are there to de-populate the hive, but just feed on the bees.

Don't think hornets are a protected species in the uk......if they are rentokil, and other pest control companys are breaking the law all the time.

European hornets ARE protected in Germany but nowhere else in the EU.

Asian hornets have been designated "espece invasive" in France - invasive species - which is basically shoot on sight:sifone:

Incidentally the hornet trap I described in a previous thread works extremely well on wasps toobee-smillie

Regards Mike

Nice ideas.

I have seen many trap videos revolving around the same idea. I will try them out soon.

I did see someone mention meat as a good bait for wasps.

Thanks

Last edited:
peteinwilts, Hornets aint protected!

Where did you get that idea?

I stand corrected! I thought I read it some time ago and must have got the wrong end of the stick...

As long as they stay away from the bees, I don't mind European hornets and certainly wouldn't support killing them unless hazardous. (I don't support the killing of birds either which probably take more...)

Back