Bee-pedia?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I've noticed how frequently similar questions get posted on here and are usually answered either by:
  • by the various posters or
  • linked to resources such as the Dave Cushmans site.

Whilst both of these do work, I was thinking is there a better way to collaborate and create an easy to navigate resource? Dave Cushmans site whilst informative isn't going to have information on the current and future threats, Asian Hornet springs to mine or the latest techniques and research. It isn't optimised for mobile devices and if I'm blunt it looks horrible.

How about a wikipedia style of website which could build upon Dave Cushmans work and would allow authors to collaborate and create articles? Beepedia, apipedia?

I have looked and there is open source software that would allow this to be done fairly easily. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Thoughts?

I've noticed how frequently similar questions get posted on here and are usually answered either by:
by the various posters or
linked to resources such as the Dave Cushmans site.

Or referred to a previous thread (or several)? Or just to use the search facility?

Wikipedia like information sites have lots of mistakes. I do not even read what they say about beekeeping. Who ever may write what ever.

Some want honey with their hives, and some not. It is a big difference then, how to nurse hives.

I use university information sources, and they are not many.

Actually beekeeping is not so difficult what foorums want to make it.

Forums are full of such knowledge, with which you may only debate and kill time.

Or would be if Admin would allow the link?

Come on Admin play fair.

poly hyphen hive dot co dot uk

PH

Sorry Pete
It's the software.
I will go in and alter it manually so it links for you.
I will do it later today when I am on the big boys computer rather than my tablet
Mark.

Last edited:
Its raining here in south hants so no bees today.
Link fixed....

Thanks it is based on the DC site but I trimmed out some of the excess as Dave wanted to list everying, I want to list what I know works.

PH

I assume from the lack of response there is no appetite for a resource like this. I had envisioned something that could be quite comprehensive with biographies for people such as Ted Hooper to individual details for plants such as pollen colour, flowering etc.

As for your site Poly Hive, a good resource but its very slow to load for me. In general if people have to wait they will go back to search results very quickly and look for another site.

In general if people have to wait they will go back to search results very quickly and look for another site.

People that lack patience would be better off doing something other than beekeeping.

Its maybe more about expectations rather than patience, in this day taking five seconds for a web page to load makes one think the website is broken or crashing. Anything more than three seconds and most people give up.

Its maybe more about expectations rather than patience, in this day taking five seconds for a web page to load makes one think the website is broken or crashing

Probably the same kind of person that thinks a queen should be mated within two days of emergence and getting bees is like picking up something from Tescos, and if they get a sting pour petrol over them to fix the problem.
The I want it and I want it right now brigade.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back