Bee Package and Queen Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are also of Mr Robert's origin, grew well last year, got off to a cracking start this year, and I have just artificial swarmed both of them.

Our first colony came as a nuc "package + queen + frames" - the queen was still in her cage, the bees were clearly of different origin to the queen, as her offspring have all been dark, the original bees were very yellow.

The second colony was a traditional nuc - queen amongst the frames, the bees have stayed the same colour.

Had a traditional nuc from Mr Roberts too (crikey he's busy) colony didnt grow too well last year due I think to heavy varroa count and me having to treat mid summer (no honey crop). The bees this year have gotten off to a great start and have just split into two Nucs with Mm queens.

Waiting to hear from Mr Roberts as well as I've ordered two packages this year to put in to these two top bar hives.

april017s.jpg

Last year I got a nuc and the colony were this beautiful colour and I was a little sorry to see the colony change colour.

carnolians.jpg

and I was a little sorry to see the colony change colour.

Did this result from the queen not being the parent of the bees of the 'nucleus'? Or supercedure, perhaps?

Likely here is a case of comparing a 'proper nuc' and a 'thrown-together in a rush, sold on quickly, with an imported queen', jobbie.

What you get is not always what you see.

Regards, RAB

Waiting to hear from Mr Roberts as well as I've ordered two packages this year to put in to these two top bar hives.

april017s.jpg

Last year I got a nuc and the colony were this beautiful colour and I was a little sorry to see the colony change colour.

carnolians.jpg

The tbh barefoot crowd must be so proud when they get so many converts impatiently stocking their hives with imported packages.
Am I right in thinking this is slightly contrary to the 'sustainable' and 'natural' ethos of an otherwise pointless and un-userfriendly tbh ?

I always thought the reason for a Top bar hive was a temperature issue,in our climate we use hives that are vertical due to low temps in winter,while in hot climates they use hives that are horizontal so keeping them cooler.

temperature issue

In that case, definitely the 'Warre' is the way to go? Similar, but potentially even more 'hands off' beekeeping, with a harvest in one place, even if you do need a hoist and a cheese cutter to organise it and remove the honey.

Regards, RAB

Each to their own but I hope all these warre and tbh beekeepers keep their hives with combs in a reasonably viewable condition so the inspectors can ensure they dont pose a disease risk for eveyone else

The tbh barefoot crowd must be so proud when they get so many converts impatiently stocking their hives with imported packages.
Am I right in thinking this is slightly contrary to the 'sustainable' and 'natural' ethos of an otherwise pointless and un-userfriendly tbh ?

It's like driving up the motorway at 70 and being passed by a Prius doing 80 - 85. It often happens.

Each to their own but I hope all these warre and tbh beekeepers keep their hives with combs in a reasonably viewable condition so the inspectors can ensure they dont pose a disease risk for eveyone else

My TBH are treated in exactly the same way as any other framed hive as every bar can be removed to be inspected fully.

Can I ask you to explain why you think they are a problem MBC?

Last edited:
That's a very attractive looking hive. I'm almost tempted.
Is it modelled on Noah's ark?

And now it's disappeared????

Last edited:
Mike A,did you use Boiled or Raw linseed oil?

I have some crownboards to do but have only seen boiled linseed for sale in the local diy stores.

My TBH are treated in exactly the same way as any other framed hive as every bar can be removed to be inspected fully.

Can I ask you to explain why you think they are a problem MBC?

I dont think they are a problem ( in the right hands ) but I do think they are more difficult to examine than movable frame hives and require a higher degree of management initially to ensure the frames are built so as to be conveniently examined
I'm of the opinion that the last great invention in beekeeping was the movable frame hive with correct bee spacing and I find it difficult to imagine why one would want to forgo this convenience unless it was a cost issue or a sustainability issue both invalidated -imho- by stocking them with an imported package

Mike A,did you use Boiled or Raw linseed oil?

I have some crownboards to do but have only seen boiled linseed for sale in the local diy stores.

Yacht varnish Admin.....works every time!

Chris B - Haha, its hand made and I'm very proud of it considering it only cost all told about £25 - £30 per hive which is a bargain considering.

Admin - I coated it in boiled linseed oil and wax 20:1 ratio and applied it whilst it was still hot. I then decided to paint it with 3 coats of exterior paint after seeing what happened to another home made hive I coated in linseed oil and wax. A black mould started to appear on the side which was kept in the shade then it slowly began to warp badly as water seeped into the wood.

MBC - I take your point frames are easier for most bee keepers which is a shame because their invention has converted bee keeping into an multi-billion pound and dollar industry which seemingly only cares about ever greater yields and profit margins. I wonder how many bee keepers would give up their colonies if they didn't get any honey from them every year.

I wonder how many bee keepers would give up their colonies if they didn't get any honey from them every year

Fact: Beekeeping was carried on for honey production long before the framed hive, with bee space, was introduced. Skeps were a different ball game, I think.

The greed of pollination profit and the drive for mono crops ar failings of the human race, not of beekeepers necessarily.

Personally, I would rather have one or two more colonies to achieve a reasonable honey crop, rather than import queens, that certainly provide an initial boost to the crop, which are not really doing the hobby/craft/industry (whatever you may wish to call it) any long term favours.

RAB

Latest posts

Back