bee-o-pac / Cut comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wax producing bees that are gorged with honey produce wax, automatically. When you look at the floor of a hive during a nectar flow there are lots of unused wax scales there,[/ QUOTE]

I have looked them 46 years and I have not seen much scales.

When you feed bees with sugar they "produce wax, automatically"

Huge nonsence.

Reduced to misquoting me again Finman? What a disappointment!

And, if you mean sugar syrup, how wrong you are, but I never mentioned feeding sugar (syrup or granulated), I talked about a nectar flow. Since you mentioned it though, are you claiming bees will not make wax when fed sugar syrup?

How about you answer a couple of the questions you've been asked rather than taking parts of statements out of context and attempting to throw ridicule around the thread, it's not very constructive, even if it is becoming predictable!

And, if you mean sugar syrup, how wrong you are, but I never mentioned feeding sugar (syrup or granulated), I talked about a nectar flow. Since you mentioned it though, are you claiming bees will not make wax when fed sugar syrup?
!

I think that you should resolve that question with yourself.

Last edited:
Finman go have a coffee take a deep breath and help us out here with the questions.

Please!

The hanging section holders work quite well,with three basswood sections in each,in a normal super with normal combs on the outside,i only use these on the heather,and only ever produce heather comb honey,cut or section,from new foundation.

Hi all

Going back to the question:toetap05:

I have used starter strips over full sheets in the past and found it to be false econnomy, whilst a nice bit of virgin bee built comb can ideed be the best comb honey you can get. If you are actually trying to get max results then full sheets work best IMO

I have seen few boxes/supers with full sheets of foundation drawn perfectly, I have seen even fewer with starter strips!!!! If you get 1 wobbly comb or an attachmet to another comb, or even if the full sheets just incourage the bees to draw full combs. One carton of comb will more than cover the cost of your foundation.

One tip for those giving it a go, if you have National hives try commercial supers for cut comb if you can get them CHEAP/AUCTION/SALE. You will find with the slightly larger frames you are able to get more per frame as the standard cut works better.

Regards Ian

Nice tip Ian thanks.
As I have a couple of commercial supers/frames and foundation I think I will give it a go this year.

Your post has inspired me.

Hi Admin

Store any completed frames and even better whole supers bin baged up in the freezer, then simply take frames or supers out as required. No wax moth damage and no crystalizing honey:)

Never box up more than required, for some reason the run off from open cells sets at about 3 times the rate of bottled honey:svengo:

Regards Ian

Why is it cheating in my book?

Simply this. Comb honey for me is a honey created by the bees on a flow.

That is: a genuine nectar flow.

PH

Latest posts

Back