Bee friendly clematis?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all

i'm looking to buy a bee friendly late/autumn flowering clematis to climb and cover a garden trellis - can anyone recommend a suitable variety please? it would be on a south facing wall with sun pretty much all day (if we ever get any that is).

many thanks.

Hi all

i'm looking to buy a bee friendly late/autumn flowering clematis to climb and cover a garden trellis - can anyone recommend a suitable variety please? it would be on a south facing wall with sun pretty much all day (if we ever get any that is).

many thanks.

Clematis vitalba – old man’s beard/traveller’s joy - For summer

Clematis heracleifolia - For Autumn

Both found on the RHS Pollinators plants list.

Find it here:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Sustainable-gardening/pdfs/RHS_Pollinators_PlantList

Not sure about the flowers on Clematis - some of them have rather deep 'trumpets' which honey bees won't go right into. You need one of the ones with the petals that sit almost flat.

You might also consider Morning Glory (Ipomoea tricolor) which is a lovely blue cottage garden climber that has a long flowering period - you can grow it, initially, from seed - will still flower this year. Bees love it.

Last edited:
thank you both very much - and the pollinator plant list is very useful too!

I like the detail on the Old Man's Beard (Clematis cirrhosa 'Jingle Bells') which says it flowers June to October.

Latest posts

Back