Bee Excrement & Neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem, but I got to the council before the whinger did..I told him of the problem of bee poo on two cars......he asked what do these people do when a birs does it?

Bit of discussion and a meeting etc.

Norwich council has no ruling saying that I cant keep bees in my garden... Yours may also have to same rule...Phone and ask.

What may be your downfall is "causing a nuisance" which applies to anything and not just bee poo.

One council chap told the neghbour "why dont you park your car somewhere else" she said "its my parking space" He pointed ut to her that it was a council controlled parking space, not hers and it was for anybody to park in whether they lived there or not.

I do sympathise. I hope you find somewhere to put the other hives temporarily. I think the idea of an empty hive is a good one, particularly if they are easily seen from outside the property. Make sure you put the entrance block in the wrong way round so that no swarming bees can squat. then if the complaints continue you can follow up as suggested before. Inviting a council official to bring round the complainant to complain again with a witness and then showing the empty hive. The problem may not be the poo, but fear, and the poo just gives a visible "Ground for Complaint". Good luck with this.

Love to see the look on the council official as you take him or her to your hives and proceed to take the lid off with them thinking there are bees inside.
My own experience would tell me they drop it within 50-100 yards from the hive rather than hundreds of yards, as when you want to go you are going to go!
It great fun on warm winter calm days watching them in low sun doing the "poo circle" as my kids call it.

Last edited:
Shoot him Mr. Mainwaring, you've every right to!...........Oh.....sorry .....wrong forum!

Search for 'NBBKA bees and the law' and you'll find an interesting document.

Need someone to do some research showing that bee poo is good for cars.

Love to see the look on the council official as you take him or her to your hives and proceed to take the lid off with them thinking there are bees inside.
My own experience would tell me they drop it within 50-100 yards from the hive rather than hundreds of yards, as when you want to go you are going to go!
It great fun on warm winter calm days watching them in low sun doing the "poo circle" as my kids call it.

So 150 to 300 feet - isn't that the problem? :(

When my neighbour realised she couldnt get the council to do anything she started making things up that they came into her house and made amess on her washing...

Council bloke came again and stood for ages watching the bees flight path.
They either leave the hive in the opposite direction over neighbours garden the other side which is in line with mine, or they go up and back over their hive, over the fence and trellis which is 3mt high and then across the front of the washing lady's house because it is set back from my house..

When I had bees at home, every car in the street had little yellow dots on them. I used to feel a bit guilty but nobody complained about it. Some people cherish the wrong things.

Go to Halfords and buy him a car cover.

It'll cost very little but the gesture might go a long way.

That and a couple of jars of honey...

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a waste of space. But that doesn't mean you have to stoop to his level.

I agree with Hedgerow. Move them.

For what ever reasons you have a serious situation here and my thinking is this.

If your hobby impinges on others it is your problem not theirs. The problem may or may not exist. However they (the complainants) have a perception.

The only way to address it is to move them out.

PH

This is just about the only sensible and reasonable posting in this thread. Why do so many beekeepers instantly become defensive (and offensive) when their hobby is criticised?
The OP seems to be suggesting that it is more than one neighbour who is complaining. One, probably having no idea that it was bee poo, found the problem to be sufficiently disturbing to prompt him to go to the expense of commissioning a lab report. That has confirmed that bees are to blame. The most likely offenders are those belonging to the OP.
Therefore he, by his hobby, is causing a nuisance, probably an actionable nuisance, to his neighbours. He must do something about it. There can be no argument to the contrary.
He's not said whether he's visited his neighbours to enable him to gauge the extent of the problem. Despite this, many of you who've posted instantly allege that the problem could only be minor, and that whoever is complaining must be unreasonable. I can only think that you are both unreasonable and selfish.

probably an actionable nuisance,

Rubbish..

Phone the police and tell then that your neighbours are making a noise and playing music which has swearing in it and have all thier windows open...what do they say...."cant do anything about it"

Therefore somehow I just cant really see them sending somebody out because bees had crapped on your car.........can you?

The only action the council can take is to chuck you out of your house for causing a nuisance......(breech of tenancy rules) and they would have to take you to court to do that.

probably an actionable nuisance

is it possible that the above quote is intended to suggest that it is actionable by environmental heath which is applicable whether you own or rent a property and nothing to do with law enforcement.

In the long run it probably is best to move them, such disputes have the potential to be come obsessions for the aggrieved party, is it really worth the hassle?

Rubbish..

Phone the police and tell then that your neighbours are making a noise and playing music which has swearing in it and have all thier windows open...what do they say...."cant do anything about it"

Therefore somehow I just cant really see them sending somebody out because bees had crapped on your car.........can you?

The only action the council can take is to chuck you out of your house for causing a nuisance......(breech of tenancy rules) and they would have to take you to court to do that.

Again, you're posting without any idea of the degree of the problem . If someone found it necessary to get the poo analysed, it's clearly fairly extreme.
It's not a police matter, but may well give rise to a civil action.
I've spent my professional life sorting out disputes. Most problems involve at least one unreasonable party. You are clearly of the unreasonable persuasion.

And don't forget that for the time being the ASBO still exists. This is another potential solution for the protection of those whose life is made uncomfortable by the unreasonable.

An ASBO for a bee shitting on a car lol

In a former life I used to deal with similar neighbour disputes. For someone to have had bee poo analysed indicates obsessive behaviour bordering on a mental illness. My advice would be to cultivate your other neighbours and get them on your (the bees) side. This will isolate Mr Grumpy. The authorities will not take up an isolated mad man's complaint for fear of looking foolish. Can you imagine what the local paper would make of any court case involving bee poo? Then you hire Martha as a professional witness.

Good luck.

Again, you're posting without any idea of the degree of the problem . If someone found it necessary to get the poo analysed, it's clearly fairly extreme.
It's not a police matter, but may well give rise to a civil action.
I've spent my professional life sorting out disputes. Most problems involve at least one unreasonable party. You are clearly of the unreasonable persuasion.

Again, you're posting without any idea of the degree of the problem So is everybody else. We havent been to have a look.

You are clearly of the unreasonable persuasion.
only against unreasonable sad whingers. Like one who complained to the council the she could see my camper van from her front window when I parked it in a different place, and tried to get other people to sign a letter...(which they didnt).. I worked out she could only see it if she had her nose pressed to the window and looked sideways. She had to walk past it each time she left her house wherever it was parked anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back