bee attractaint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
looking to find the best one for attracting a new swarm this year
ive been reading on here for a long time and already have bees and I want to expand a little in my second year

Last edited:
...I want to expand a little...

Make a split from your current colony at the appropriate time? More reliable than hoping for a swarm.

Simple beekeeping.

looking to find the best one for attracting a new swarm this year
ive been reading on here for a long time and already have bees and I want to expand a little in my second year

If you aren't on top of your swarm control your bees will expand for your edification and delight :)
Lay in a couple of empty hives before the season gets going.

a friend who knows more than me is helping me to split the hive I have later and I will put some spare hives out with old comb , is there a particular lemongrass oil as there are lots of sellers

If you aren't on top of your swarm control your bees will expand for your edification and delight :)
Lay in a couple of empty hives before the season gets going.

And the delight of your neighbours too :)

I don't have any close neighbours I'm a farmer

I don't have any close neighbours I'm a farmer

Probably best to do what I do have a few empty bait hives dotted around the fields.This allows for the mistakes of others and sometimes my own.Pretty good chance at least one hive will get a swarm.

a good sized box with small entrance... I use a paines poly with 2 ekes on top, make sure you cover over the mesh floor with cardboard as they dont like light/cold.

Put in a frame of old darker brood comb, drizzle in a generous helping of lemongrass oil and some geranium oil, and a swarm attractant wipe (tear the sachet but leave it in there). job done.

I also wipe a bit of lemongrass oil around plastic entrance disk to get smell out and about. Caught 7 swarms last year in just 2 boxes using this method.

thanks all this advice gives me a lot of hope

Latest posts

Back