BBKA news article on Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Have just read Andrew Durham's (Cambridgeshire BKA) article on the Asian Hornet in the August 2017 edition of BBKA news.

https://www.-------------/files/library/bbka_news_224_aug_2017_1501056616.pdf page 273 onwards

Its an excellent summary of the counter measures being taken in France and so is good preparatory reading in advance of their likely reappearance in the UK, one day. Looking forward to the second part of the article (in the September edition) as it looks like developing into a bad hornet year here in Chiangmai.

Yes the second part is out now. Very good and well researched with plenty of ideas as to what to do and how to do them. If one had a criticism it would be there is currently no definitive answer....probably because currently their is no definitive answer.

I think the lesson to be learned from the French experience is to hit the Asian Hornets hard with everything we've got as soon as they appear and hope the government has the nouse to back the civil servants with money to fight them to the death as soon as they are identified.

The other thing we beekeepers should do is bore our friends with stories about Asian Hornets so that there is an awareness of what they are and where they're likely to appear. The worst case scenario is that we get fresh genetics introduced from China rather than France. With the limited genetic pool in France, there's hope that this (genetic) weakness will eventually be their downfall - no sign of this yet.

I agree with the OP - a good series of articles written in BBKA News by somebody who's obviously been in the front line in France, keeping bees in an AH-infested area.

CVB

I cant find the article anywhere for non members. I cant understand how overseas members pay an extra £20 so have not joined.

As I understand it Jersey are pretty much doing nothing (As France did) and are going the same route, absolute madness in my thinking. I offered to help too.

Here we are having a much better year, I have hornets in southern apiaries near Porto, which I control with catch and release. I was almost smug about apiaries in the north near the Spanish border, as up until yesterday I had only seen a few hornets, mainly VC, yesteday I caught and released around a hundred VV.

I'm very pleased with this method, it works well and what I have noticed is the huge difference in the amount of other pollinators, yesterday I saw huge butterflies which I havent seen before and didnt realise we have so many different types of wasp, fantastic to see.

the link doesn't seem to post properly on this forum but you should be able to find the article by googling BBKA news No 224 August 2017.

or try googling... Try To Love Wasps Asian Hornet Uniting Colonies.

Last edited:
the link doesn't seem to post properly on this forum but you should be able to find the article by googling BBKA news No 224 August 2017.

or try googling... Try To Love Wasps Asian Hornet Uniting Colonies.

Thanks for that, interesting point about blackcurrant cordial, I didnt know it was different to the french cordial. I love the harpe electrique

A few points I dont agree with

Trapping catches too many other species even with holes cut.

Leaving grass long, this imo leaves a perfect ambush situation that hornets just love. The very first thing I do when hornets are around is cut down grass, plants etc and make sure end hives are really strong as they love to lurk around and ambush.

Protein and floor traps, protein has never worked for me and floor traps cant work.

Having trouble finding a non-BBKA member, online version of the 2nd part of Andrew Durham's article on Asian hornets. Anybody know of a link? Hornet season now in Chiangmai and we are struggling. Might also be useful for beeks on the Continent.

Have just read Andrew Durham's (Cambridgeshire BKA) article on the Asian Hornet in the August 2017 edition of BBKA news.

https://www.-------------/files/library/bbka_news_224_aug_2017_1501056616.pdf page 273 onwards

Its an excellent summary of the counter measures being taken in France and so is good preparatory reading in advance of their likely reappearance in the UK, one day. Looking forward to the second part of the article (in the September edition) as it looks like developing into a bad hornet year here in Chiangmai.
Best to present the website address using tinyurl.com This reduces a long address to a short one.

If you are still struggling let me know, I have a 99% tried and tested this week, I've gone from around 250 hornets an hour to around 3.

Stick your tried and tested results and method of control up so we can all get ready for the inevitable invasion one day.

Can you share it with us please Mazzamazda :)

Yes, i just specifically target asian hornets, catch them with an electric zapper and treat them with a slow acting poison (fipronil).

I was experimenting with other methods of applying earlier this year but this works, incredibly well. There are a few special tricks you need to do, like keeping them as active as possible before treating and a very specific amount but I've hit them hard here in only around 3 days (6 hours work).

Yes, i just specifically target asian hornets, catch them with an electric zapper and treat them with a slow acting poison (fipronil).

I was experimenting with other methods of applying earlier this year but this works, incredibly well. There are a few special tricks you need to do, like keeping them as active as possible before treating and a very specific amount but I've hit them hard here in only around 3 days (6 hours work).

Ah, thanks.
I was talking about this methods some time back with Richard Noel in France...but not in France....on Facebook ;)

That's Plenty of Honey's preferred method - it makes the dazed hornet the unwitting messenger of death of the nest, eventually. The beekeeper does not have the satisfaction of seeing the dead hornets but reduced numbers tell the story.

CVB

p/s. Fipronil is the active ingredient in Front Line, the flea treatment for cats and dogs.

Last edited:
Richard told me about Fipronil, I speak to him quite a lot. Pretty sure he hasn't used Fipronil or the electric zapper method? His method was spring trapping, think there were loads of beekeepers doing it in France and he hasnt had a problem with a single hornet.

Richard told me about Fipronil, I speak to him quite a lot. Pretty sure he hasn't used Fipronil or the electric zapper method? His method was spring trapping, think there were loads of beekeepers doing it in France and he hasnt had a problem with a single hornet.

Ah apologies...Maybe I was talking to you. ;)
Infact i'm sure I was.
Memory is rubbish these days

Your all right, what i was proposing to Mark was that if we carry on with the method Mark has perfected, but instead of poisoning the hornet and releasing, which as Mark says, has to be specific, i was proposing we glue a small disc on to the thorax of the Hornet. (which is considerable larger than a queen bee, so potential its a really good vector)
This disc is actually concave and acts like a little tray, we load the tray with a newly concocted dose, probably weaker than the original, but in a thick youghurty or custard gloopy type mix, that will hold its shape.( and is protein rich)
This will then be easily carried to the nest upon release. The receiving hornets will then eat a lot of it, and or spread it around the next. Death of said colony will be pretty soon, within a few days.

My main point is, the hornet does not come in to contact with the treatment. so its a perfect vector for the treatment. The hornet remains strong and carries its entire package to the SPECIFIC TARGET,

Ive heard through various people that the amount needed to kill a nest is tiny, so we need not worry about total dose. A very small amount entering the nest will do the dob perfectly well.
Common Hornets are not affected and in any way.

In my opinion, too much time is spent in "Trophy hunting" for the nests and if more time was spent in specific treatment of individual specimens, the job would be done quickly , effectively with much less resources. any beekeeper can catch a hornet. ( i know initially many wanted to study individual nests for familiarisation and biology study, but those times are over now!)

You should all be thanking Mark ( Mazzamazda) for his work. It will go on to reduce countless numbers of nests.

This year in North Brittany has, so far been remarkable, we have no Asian Hornets. A Combined very cold April , when the queen founders were out and about and with a group of Communes, combining and put out over 5000 traps, has culminated in no hornets in any of my 13 apiaries and many are the same commune wide!!
I visited another department last week , only an hours drive from me and the place was over run with the damn things.

My attitude is, you have to get the source, its no good really trapping in the summer, , purely for the purpose of monitoring as summer trapping dosent really work. We should be solely targeting the main nests after spring trapping has done its job. So many are trying to make up devices that dissuade hornets from taking bees, giving bees another entrance to use, which possibly has merit in a heavily infested area. However but in my mind, the heavier the infestation the easier it is to have success.

Their not targeting the root of the problem, just trying to address the problem at the hive entrance level. The problem isn't there, its up in a tree, 2 kilometres away!!!!!!!!
how more specific must one be!!!!

More work needs to be done, but I've said this a thousand times, were all still keeping bees in France and slowing winning a battle. DONT PANIC!!!

Last edited:
Just an aside it was Fipronil residues in eggs that caused the massive issue with egg supply in Germany and Holland this year. Keep it away from your honey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Richard, my efforts are out of absolute desperation for my bees.

I have found a very effective solution to my problem, I think the UK has a very different issue. I'm getting advice from a professional to further experiments. I'm happy to share what we are doing and will try and sort out a video in due course for anyone who might need help.

The LD50 for a honeybee for fipronil is 0.0000000062g so it can't get anywhere near a beehive let alone honey.

Latest posts

Back