BBKA membership cards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BBKA year ends on 31st march, so if you join now, will they ask for more on more in April?

also i think you need to be approved by the bbka committee to join direct, normal a formality but takes time and more expensive ay ?£36 rather than £19 fvia a BKA

Last edited:
It was through an association. However, the fact that they (the local association) are not replying to my emails may be of concern.

I have inadvertently stirred up a bit of trouble by offering my services to a member of a pollination project. The local association has appeared to take great offence....

... it was when it was said, I am not known, therefore I must be a commercial coming from outside the area, and therefore will be spreading diseases and saying I am not welcome.
I am local and have been beekeeping under their noses for a few years.

However, implying I am not known, therefore commercial from outside the area speaks volumes.
Also saying commercial and therefore spreading diseases, does not say a lot for commercial beekeepers in their eyes.

If nothing else, it will be interesting how this plays out.

It was through an association.

I filled in forms and paid my subs in December, haven't had an acknowledgement either - and it won't be the same association. Don't read too much into it, few clubs will turn away members because even the most awkward or irascible of characters help fill the coffers! (Not suggesting, of course, that you're either awkward or irascible, but every BKA has a few :D )

The (my, our) membership secretary sends out forms in December but doesn't do anything with them until late January because plenty of people leave it until as late as possible in January to sign up again. Local membership card is sent with the programme, when it's been printed, along with insurance. May not arrive until the end of February.

It's a lot of work - printing, folding, putting in envelopes etc - and is usually done by only one person, and for most people December can be quite busy.

BBKA membership card doesn't usually arrive until March, or is it April, and is on a bit of paper in with the magazine.

It was through an association. However, the fact that they (the local association) are not replying to my emails may be of concern.

I have inadvertently stirred up a bit of trouble by offering my services to a member of a pollination project. The local association has appeared to take great offence...
You might be aware local associations are run by volunteers. That's part of the charm, the mutual support. But some have also had a reputation of, shall we say, not being so welcoming to newcomers. If several associations are at a convenient distance, there's nothing to stop you choosing which you want as "your" association.

I paid my local BKA subs in October, and I received my BBKA membership card a week or so ago, it seemed like ages waiting for it at the time, but looking back, and hearing other's experiences, I'm quite pleased with my local BKA, it was quite quick really.
As said, it is mostly a voluntary organisation, so give it a chance.

How did you get their bank details? Bank transfer is not one of the payment options given on the BBKA individual membership form. Or are you actually talking about joining a member association? In which case you'll be waiting a while as up to 3 layers involved, none of which is likely to be efficient.

Our BBKA is moving over (or trying to move over) to Direct Debit so its bank details are public knowledge to those who do pay by DD.

There is actually a proposition for the BBKA ADM next week, that would mandate BBKA to seek out an online membership solution. In principle it's a very good idea, but it does challenge the status quo and all those idiosyncrasies that some hold dear, and it would bind all local BKA's a lot tighter to BBKA. It could also kill the "capitation" model of membership, which would mean constitutional review and ultimately improved democracy. The proposition is opposed by the exec.

There is actually a proposition for the BBKA ADM next week, that would mandate BBKA to seek out an online membership solution. In principle it's a very good idea, but it does challenge the status quo and all those idiosyncrasies that some hold dear, and it would bind all local BKA's a lot tighter to BBKA. It could also kill the "capitation" model of membership, which would mean constitutional review and ultimately improved democracy. The proposition is opposed by the exec.

The Proposition is opposed because the bbka already have a system and are looking into updating it. Not because they disagree with having a online membership

Is the sec on hols or been sick?
Have to say we're a bit slow this year, new membership sec getting to grips with it all.
We have 3 payment option: cash, cheque and bank transfer, and 2 application methods - fill in and return form by post/email in word doc format or google forms.

I'd like a digital membership card, I have one for others things it's very handy.

The Proposition is opposed because the bbka already have a system and are looking into updating it. Not because they disagree with having a online membership

That's what they say, but the implications of an off-the-shelf proven solution will not have escaped them.

Latest posts

Back