BBKA Basic exam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use the j tool like a can opener to lever the frames sideways and break the propolis seal before you try to lift up. Saves breakages and prolongs the life of your frames!
which is the way they were designed to be used

I am intrigued, James - what 'myths' would you say are still being perpetuated? I went to a talk where we were told that if we needed gloves for an inspection then we were doing something WRONG with our bees. Not sure what he was smoking his bees with beforehand but I would be keen to have some too. Sometimes cranky bees are just cranky.
My personal beef with my association is their strong/excessive 'by the rules/by the book' attitude and also their need for all these modules. I had the audacity to suggest 'beekeeping for dummies' as a good beginners book and they sneered me down with 'it's not a recommended book on the SBA website'. And another issue with set honey where I was told I was completely wrong, that's not what the books say.
My old mentor kept some tobacco leaves for smoking her cranky bees with. No idea where she got them from, may even have grown them herself in her greenhouse and yes JBM they were tobacco and not another smokable plant :laughing-smiley-014

My old mentor kept some tobacco leaves for smoking her cranky bees with. No idea where she got them from, may even have grown them herself in her greenhouse and yes JBM they were tobacco and not another smokable plant :laughing-smiley-014

An alternative "herbal" plant might have got the bees in a nice laid-back mood though :D

James

Not sure what he was smoking his bees with beforehand but I would be keen to have some too.
My original Bee Keeping guide and teacher, Albert smoked non -filter-tipped Wills Woodbines , as evidenced by his brown and white moustache.

Whenever Albert commenced the opening of one of my hives he would take a draw on the inevitable cigarette and then bend down to blow a little smoke towards the hive entrance. "You don't need much smuk, boy!" he told me. "Too much smuk upsets 'em. Just give 'em a little bit to let them know you are here and then leave it at that!"

I did wonder that with Albert using tobacco smoke on his own hives, he had his bees so hooked on nicotine that they positively welcomed his arrival and the accompanying 'fix'.

Malcolm B.

Last edited:
I’m sure you will have passed with flying colours. I did mine last year, on one of the hottest days in July with all of us dripping in sweat and could hardly make up a brood frame as the wax was so soft it was falling apart!
The best thing is (despite the general derision on here for the BBKA), if you get asked by the general public, you can say you are ‘qualified’, especially if swarm collecting.
And it helps with your general learning to boot.
Thanks I’ve had the results now and I’m happy to say I passed with a credit.

Well done. Onward and upward to enjoy your bees in a less challenging season next year.
Yes it’s been a bad season in the late summer with lack of nectar and lots of wet days. The stored honey has mostly been consumed I’m treating and feeding now. At least I missed out on the swarming problems

Well done you! Are you going to take any more?
I’m not sure I came across the syllabus for the diseases module. It appears to be far more detailed than I am interested in. I’m strictly a hobby beekeeper. I wanted to be sure that I had sufficient knowledge to get the basic and I’m happy that I have.

Well done on passing. However the basic is just that,- the basics. I hope you continue to read and learn, it has made my beekeeping much more enjoyable. Even if you do not intend to take any more exams, the syllabus gives good guidance of things to know and you can skip the bits you don't enjoy.

Well the exam experience wasn’t painful and preparing for it forced me to get to know a bit about the diseases which I was very weak on. The examiner was lovely. It was a teaching experience. Who knew the Queen had ginger legs! And I’ve been using my hive tool wrong for the past 3 years. Thanks for the good wishes
The smoker is the hot tin with a chimney 🤣

Well done on passing. However the basic is just that,- the basics. I hope you continue to read and learn, it has made my beekeeping much more enjoyable. Even if you do not intend to take any more exams, the syllabus gives good guidance of things to know and you can skip the bits you don't enjoy.
That’s true, I could study the modules and learn without necessarily going further. Thanks for the interest

That’s true, I could study the modules and learn without necessarily going further.

I've mostly used them as a "jumping-off point" for reading from which I've learnt a fair bit. I'm long past the point at which learning stuff to have to regurgitate it in an exam was in any way rewarding, but picking out areas that interest me and reading around them has been both interesting and useful.

If you've not already discovered it, David Evans' website is regularly worth a read, too. I've "fallen down a wormhole" there more than once...

James

I've mostly used them as a "jumping-off point" for reading from which I've learnt a fair bit. I'm long past the point at which learning stuff to have to regurgitate it in an exam was in any way rewarding, but picking out areas that interest me and reading around them has been both interesting and useful.

If you've not already discovered it, David Evans' website is regularly worth a read, too. I've "fallen down a wormhole" there more than once...

James
I discovered the Apiarist a while back. There is so much on there. I also use Wally Shaws booklets as a guide.

James
Thank you James for the link ,very interesting and have subscribed 😊
John.

Latest posts

Back