battery acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cloths I wore when I cleaned up the floor and the freezer are now starting to disintegrate, I am worried about the freezer, it is only 3 months old, I think it will be an insurance claim. I have now noticed the acid has sprayed over my foundation I was fitting into frames, I think this will have to thrown. As I clean up the shelves I am sure I will find other items which are contaminated by the acid.

All battery charging will now be done in the car port well away from anything.

If the battery in question is 'ex' motor vehicle it won't have liked the deep discharge of a fencer and recharging over "x" years. It may have lost some of it's liquid, as previously said they aren't fully sealed. You really need to use a 'leisure' battery that is built to take the charge / discharge cycle that a fencer will subject it to.

A caravan breakers may be a source of a replacement.

I normally use batteries ex my wife's wheelchair or buggy. This was just the spare.

A few years ago the battery on our stand-by generator exploded whilst it tried to start, what a mess, again the battery was on a constant trickle charge and had dried out and BOOM.

I have now noticed the acid has sprayed over my foundation I was fitting into frames, I think this will have to thrown.

If it's an insurance claim you might as well put everything on the claim that was damaged as you will be paying the excess whatever the size of the claim is .. if it's not going to be a claim then you should be able to just flush the acid off the foundation with plenty of water. Some litmus paper dipped in the flushing water will tell you when the acid is neutralised or rather diluted to the point where its effect is negligible. If you want to be certain then some sodium bicarbonate in the flushing water will neutralise the acid and a wash with clean water will finish the job ...

Or there again you could always melt the foundation down and use it for something else ... Not a bin job by any means.

Latest posts

Back