Barn Owl Fledglings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been out for a walk with the dog in the woods . Heard a screeching noise and investigated - saw two Barn Owl fledglings sitting on a branch peering down on us. They seemed inquisitive and checked us out very well. Sorry about the poor photo - it was almost dark and I only had my phone with me. Great to have them literally 200 yards from home. View attachment 10558

What a lovely thing to see :)
Husband built an owl box last year which he heroically nailed very high up in one of our beech trees. Nothing last year but this year we had Tawnies in it. It was wonderful watching the night time trail camera images and for a week or so the fledged youngster spent a good half hour at dusk screeching on top of our wisteria arch

If you haven't already, and if you feel inclined, you could record your barn owls on the barn owl survey, carried out by the Barn Owl Trust: http://www.barnowlsurvey.org.uk/

Barn owls did very poorly last year - the breeding season was disastrous, following on from high nestling mortality in 2012, and the nesting population was estimated as possibly lower than 1000 pairs in the whole of Britain. They are very interested in any records for 2014 to establish how well, or indeed if, the population is recovering.

I believe owls fledge at a comparatively young age. As such, and especially in the case of Tawny Owls, they often end up on the ground. And added to that they play dead if disturbed - go all floppy, as if they are unwell. Along comes Mr or Mrs Silly Wotsit who thinks they have found a 'baby' owl that is in need of help and who picks it up and hands it to the local wildlife centre where it joins the sackfull of other young owls that complete dumb asses have handed in.

And the moral of this story is ... Mother Owl isn't far away. Leave the owlet where it is, and dunna let your dog savage it.

I believe owls fledge at a comparatively young age. As such, and especially in the case of Tawny Owls, they often end up on the ground. And added to that they play dead if disturbed - go all floppy, as if they are unwell. Along comes Mr or Mrs Silly Wotsit who thinks they have found a 'baby' owl that is in need of help and who picks it up and hands it to the local wildlife centre where it joins the sackfull of other young owls that complete dumb asses have handed in.

And the moral of this story is ... Mother Owl isn't far away. Leave the owlet where it is, and dunna let your dog savage it.

Where is the like button when you need one

Husband is making a Barn Owl trust box for tree placement and will probably use thinner ply than they recommend. Our Tawny box was made out of 9mm marine ply and was occupied the second year after we put it up. It's full of squirrels at the moment but I'm sure the owls will turf them out as they did last year.

I think it's important to stick to the dimensions to encourage them to nest and to prevent owlets falling out.

Best of luck. Let me know how you get on.
I've not seen barn owls round here but live in hope, hence the box.

PS....I was answering a post from TTLTB and it was edited out while I typed

Last edited:
Oops. Sorry. I realised I actually haven't heard barn owls for a while rather, tawnies lately and the smaller boxes are much easier to handle plus this was a barn owl thread. Sorry to catch you out and great info but I think barn owls are a long shot for me.

The original post was:

"6-month bump alert

I have a decent number of barn owls in my area (based on night calls and looking up and seeing calling one 10 feet above my head not long ago). I am working on a box. Do you, EricA @Erichalfbee or anyone else have any pointers? eg do or do not use the Barn Owl Trust plans, 6mm ply is fine and half the weight etc.? "

Maybe like you I'll put up a box anyway... Then hope I don't get a swarm in it :-/

Last edited:
Our Tawny box was made out of 9mm marine ply and was occupied the second year after we put it up. It's full of squirrels at the moment

Husband is making a Barn Owl trust box for tree placement and will probably use thinner ply than they recommend.

Good idea - if you get the same squirrel problem 32 grams of number six should penetrate nicely and solve the issue

Ta da!!!!!!!
Just needs sealing and putting up.
Anybody got a Cherrypicker I can borrow? ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 23
Where is the box going? If access is good, see if Ceredegion Council's Biodiversity team can put in a good word with the public lighting boys for when they are in the area. If you still have them...oh, and do you have streetlights in your neck of the woods?! Do you have any contacts with BT/Open reach?

Or is this across several fields and a bog?!!:nono:!

Hi bontbee
The box is probably going in an old oak tree in the corner of the apiary field.
We can site it South East, away from our SW prevailing wind, facing open fields.
I think it's good to have the box in a rough bark tree.
No street lights, just the milky way on a clear night.
Fingers crossed

X marks the spot

Attachments

• OWL BOX.jpg
    OWL BOX.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi bontbee

No street lights, just the milky way on a clear night.
Fingers crossed

Sounds lovely. Although our local council has started turning streetlights off in rural/non-residential areas, there is still too much light pollution to see any more than the main constellations from here...Last time I saw the milky way was between Cork and Swansea, on a 30 footer, with the wind screaming through the rigging

Hope you manage to get the box up , and hope, despite the tawnies, that it is filled with barn owls - they are far too few and far between:(

Managed to get it up about 18 feet.
Husband up ladder, me on end of rope looped over large nail hammered into tree above box....phew!!!!

Excellent, and even better that you are both unscathed!

Hope your box is occupied this year - though I gather that it can take several years for owls - or others - to take up residence. Fingers crossed for you.

Back