Banishing Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milfoil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A friend in Germany sent me these photos of a hive in a museum just south of Hamburg (Freilichtmuseum Kiekeberg). She said the label calls it a 'Banishing hive', it is made from Fir roots, rye straw and insulated with cow dung. The face on the front (entrance) is carved from wood and is meant to scare away honey thieves, illness and other bad things (spirits?)

Just thought it might be of interest, certainly I enjoy learning about old ways of beekeeping around the world.

great picture .DO YOU LIFT HIS SCALP UP TO REMOVE THE HONEY ???

Fraid not, it is a typical Skep type from what I could gather and was last used in the early 19th C in Germany. The hive would have to be destroyed to obtain the honey, a good reason it is in a museum!!!!!

there used to be a series of films on a german site about skep beekeeping, and they didn't destroy the skeps ( some were over 100 yr old)
they cut out the combs for extraction.

there used to be a series of films on a german site about skep beekeeping, and they didn't destroy the skeps ( some were over 100 yr old)
they cut out the combs for extraction.

They destroy the bees :).
They used to hold the skep over a sulphur pit and thus kill the bees .

Swarming was encouraged to ensure replacements :)

VM

Hi Milfoil
That is interesting. If you are interested in skeps the take a look at martinatnewton . com (take out the spaces if you past into your browser.)

I was on a skep making course on Sunday that was run by Martin and he brought along a lot of different types of skeps and explained how they were used. If you get the chance to do a course I would recommend it. I enjoyed it and came away with a usable skep that I can proudly say I made.

What a wonderful site Flatters - thank you for sharing that. :)

Latest posts

Back